What age do Barred Plymouth Rocks start laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BroodGranny, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BroodGranny

BroodGranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Hello, I am new to raising chickens and this is my first flock. I was wondering when Barred Plymouth Rocks start laying? My girl is 21 weeks old.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

All birds mature, individually, at different rates, just like humans.

Our hatchery BRs started laying at 24 weeks, while our Heritage BRs don't start laying until 36 weeks.

3. fangaddict

fangaddict Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    I have 2 barred rocks from Heidens feed store in Houston Texas. I have eggs at 20 weeks and 2 days. Looks like when you approach them and the tighten up and shrink down you will have eggs in 2 or 3 days. I also have 2 production reds from them. Same scenario. The "Mut Chick" I got from a friend... Same thing.

4. BroodGranny

BroodGranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Northwest Louisiana
    Thanks for the advice. My white leghorn just started laying and my Rhode Island Red just started laying. Someone else laid an egg but I do not know which one did it. We are also having horrible heat and humidity with the heat index from 102 on up. That I am sure is a factor to them not laying I would think.

5. aggiegirl009

aggiegirl009 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    I was planning on ordering some BR's for my first flock from IdealPoultry in Texas. Where I'm at in south Texas, we basically just have one season...HOT. Would that affect the time span before they start laying?

6. wingnit

wingnit New Egg

Jul 21, 2016
    i had laying br hens for 5 years . they lay when they are ready. (for you very soon) i believe. and when they feel like it . mostly consistent except winter (not a threat) and moulting. keepthem happy and enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by