What age do chickens start molting?!?!?!?!?!

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
The title mostly sums it up! Also i ask this question because my rooster is being pecked at by our hens and now his back feathers are almost all gone underneath! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It varies but usually about 18 months for the first full molt. But it's usually in the fall so it could be much earlier. I have a flock hatched in march that almost all molted this year starting at about 8 months.

I have young ones that are going through a partial molt. Nothing serious like I've seen here. From what I've read, it's usually their second fall. So 18 months is a good bet as any
smile.png

Quote:
Provide your birds with gamebird feed, it has higher protein content than layer feed. That should stop the picking/pecking. Rooster Booster 'Black Salve' is better than the 'no pick.' I've used the 'no pick' and my birds gobbled it up like it was a treat. They didnt mess with the 'black salve,' it also contains healing ingredients. Vicks Vapor Rub should deter picking/pecking as well, cheaper too.

Thank you and they did it again! Im ready to cull some hens!!!!!!! Also would the vicks burn its an open wound!!!! I FEEL SO HELPLESS!!!

Back
Top Bottom