What age do chickens start molting?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fussy8, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    The title mostly sums it up! Also i ask this question because my rooster is being pecked at by our hens and now his back feathers are almost all gone underneath! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It varies but usually about 18 months for the first full molt. But it's usually in the fall so it could be much earlier. I have a flock hatched in march that almost all molted this year starting at about 8 months.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have young ones that are going through a partial molt. Nothing serious like I've seen here. From what I've read, it's usually their second fall. So 18 months is a good bet as any [​IMG]

4. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks then what should i do about my hens attacking my roo?!?!

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    There is something called no pick made by rooster booster,google it

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Provide your birds with gamebird feed, it has higher protein content than layer feed. That should stop the picking/pecking. Rooster Booster 'Black Salve' is better than the 'no pick.' I've used the 'no pick' and my birds gobbled it up like it was a treat. They didnt mess with the 'black salve,' it also contains healing ingredients. Vicks Vapor Rub should deter picking/pecking as well, cheaper too.

7. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thank you and they did it again! Im ready to cull some hens!!!!!!! Also would the vicks burn its an open wound!!!! I FEEL SO HELPLESS!!!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You have to let the wound heal first, use neosporin to help prevent infection. Once it heals, then you can use the Vick's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by