1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What age do chickens start to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maryallison77, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hi there! Just wondering the age of egg laying. Is it 4 months old? I have Bantams, Cochins, Silkies & Frizzles. I have other too, but I'm not as advanced as most of you and can't remember all the breed names, Sorry! [​IMG] My oldest group are 2 1/2 months old. Should I get nestboxes ready for them before they lay?

Thanks, MARY

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    most start around 18 weeks(41/2 months) so you still have some time, your production (leghorn/redstar/blackstars) will usually start sooner by a couple of weeks, and your bigger breeds Orps/brahma's usually start a couple weeks later,(sometimes a couple months later)

3. barred rock

barred rock In the Brooder

i have barred rocks and black stars that are 4 months old and they havent started laying yet i put litter in my laying boxes and put a few golf balls in to "promote" laying and they havent even considered laying from what i can tell

4. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm In the Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    Hi Someone else asked a similiar question a few weeks ago and one of the more interesting answers was - "a few weeks after the roosters hit puberty (i.e. try to mate) you can expect the pullets to start laying". I guess the boys mature a little sooner than the girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: