What Age Do Chickens Stop Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaviJones, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DaviJones

DaviJones Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    I'm curious as to at what age a chicken stops laying so I wanted to ask the fine people of BYC instead of Google because there are a lot of factors in egglaying and I figured here would be more specific. Thank you in advance for any information!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It really isn't a finite number. As you said, there are a lot of factors influencing ovulation and shell formation.
    I've heard of 3 year old birds having quit and I've heard of 10 year old hens still laying. Bottom line is, optimal nutrition and conditions relating to day length and general health can keep them producing year after year. They just won't lay as many eggs in subsequent years after the first 3.

aldarita, sourland and aart like this.
  3. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm True BYC Addict

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    My Coop
    It also depends on the type of chicken. A hen is born with all the eggs she will lay in her lifetime. Production hens, bred to lay as many eggs as possible in the shortest amount of time will slow and subsequently stop much sooner then a duel purpose hen.
    I personally prefer a dual purpose hen. I will average the same amount of eggs over a longer period of time. I do not eat my chickens so this works for me. I have found that production hens have more reproductive health issues that can cause a shorter life or a need to be put out of their misery. I'd prefer my girls to die of old age happy and healthy and run out of eggs.
    My pets poop breakfast. :woot

abraga likes this.
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have had production hens a few times. My last set started to lay a lot less in their second season with the quality of eggs declining a lot. My sister however has a sex link hen that she rescued as a pullet. She is still laying a few eggs a week in the main season and she is 7 years old!

aart likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually they are born with way more ova than they will release in their lifetime.
    Overall health and management will dictate how many will be turned into eggs and laid for us to eat.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    A hen will stop for many reasons other than running out.

7. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm True BYC Addict

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    My Coop
    I was meaning unlike a male who create sperm continuously throughout their lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by