What age do Easter Eggers start laying?

vadams2000

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2022
My Easter eggers are almost 27 weeks old and not laying yet. Their combs are still light pink and not red. Their other flock mates of the same age have started laying (austrolorps and red sex links). What is the normal age for Easter eggers to lay?

My Easter eggers are almost 27 weeks old and not laying yet. Their combs are still light pink and not red. Their other flock mates of the same age have started laying (austrolorps and red sex links). What is the normal age for Easter eggers to lay?
Mine started laying between 19 and 26 weeks. It may depend upon what breeds were used to create them. I have had 2 girls start to lay in the middle of winter - one in January and one in February, so while yours probably won't lay until spring, it isn't entirely without hope that they will start soon :)

Usually with EEs from my experience it's between 5 - 10 months of age. One of my EE pullets started laying in the dead of winter a year ago.

Our daylight ours are increasing right now, sunset was at 4:07pm, now it's sun setting here at 4:55pm. Started out getting 2-4 eggs a day, now we're getting 6-8 eggs a day.

Breeds and such don’t matter, they’ll lay when they’re ready. Right now daylight is decreasing and it’s possible they won’t lay until Spring. That being said, I have young birds in my flock, all less than a year old, and they are laying. The youngest just started recently and the older gals quit to molt and have begun to lay again already.

When their combs are nice and red, and they may squat for you too, it won’t be long.

I see nothing about that.
@MysteryChicken you're just not looking in the right place ;)
From dateandtime.info.
Far right column is day length.

1670600695173.png

Last edited:
It really depends! Since EE's are not a true breed and are mixed with all kinds of other breeds you won't really know. I've had some that start at 4 months and others at 6 months. Some of my friends EE's started laying when they were almost 11 months! Depending on where you live the decreased amount of sunlight will also impact a big part on the laying.

Back
Top Bottom