What age do most cockerels begin crowing?

nerfworthy

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
South Western Idaho
I have at least two confirmed cockerel in my flock so far, despite buying from the pullet bins. Such is life. I am not allowed to have roosters per my city ordinance, so I will need to rehome them at some point. That point will probably be when they begin crowing.

My oldest is a close to 10 week old SLW. Not a peep from him so far. The youngest is a 4 week old barred rock. Right now they are outside together but separated by wire because I'm integrating the second part of my flock to the older ones.

I bought a flock of chicks and they were supposed to be all pullets. Turned out I got 3 roosters. Black Bart, the black giant started crowing at 3 months, which I thought was early. His crow is almost what you would call "quiet". My white giant, Harvey, at almost 5 months, does not crow, never has tried to crow. My dark Brahma, Elmer, is the most immature of the chickens and he does not crow either. They all get along (so far) and Bart is the only one acting like the dominant roo. You never know, each chicken is different in development! :frow

Interesting. Seems like it can vary a lot! Maybe I'll get lucky and one of them won't crow at all so I can keep one. :fl what are the chances of that lol
Now, that would be a dream come true, huh? So far, I have two 5 month old roos that do not crow. I'll keep you posted if one of them changes and crows! Good luck to us!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom