1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do Polish hens begin laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GreenAcresFarm, Mar 9, 2010.

1. GreenAcresFarm

GreenAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    West Olive
    I have 2 Polish hens and they are approx. 6 months old. I have not seen 1 egg from either girl. Do they take longer to develop and begin laying eggs? I also have 2 roosters and want to see if I can hatch any chicks. The wait is killing me.
    I have a few very broody buff orphingtons that I think will do an excellent job setting the eggs.

2. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I had one Polish hen once, but she got bit by a black widow spider, and died. [​IMG] But I will say that I heard that they don't lay as well as some other breeds. So maybe they are just taking longer since from what I've heard they are not kept for their laying ability or for meat.

3. maloga

maloga Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Western NC
    They should start laying at the age of 8-10 months. Unsure about rooster maturity but I was under the impression they are fairly fertile at 9 months of age. My polish hens tended to lay eggs that looked like they had two narrow ends. Was bizarre.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Mine didn't lay until she reached nearly one year old - last spring's chick and I just started getting eggs about 3 weeks ago. She lays about 4 times a week. It was a LONGGGGGGGG wait!

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Mine have all only taken about 5 or 6 months. They lay quite sporatically though, several eggs, then a month off then a few more eggs, etc.

6. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    i have two wcb polish and they just started laying they are 5 months old

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have a hatchery polish, she started laying at 5 months, but I didn't notice until 6 months.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My hatchery polish started laying at about 7-10 months.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I finally gave away my Polish, to a friend. Now, finally, at nearly 10 months old, they are laying!

10. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Mine is a hatchery Polish and didn't start to lay until she was 10 months! I'm surprised though because she lays about 5 days/week and I thought they only laid about twice a week so not too shabby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by