1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do RIRs lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hippichick, Mar 19, 2009.

1. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Can anyone out there tell me about what age should I expect my RIRs to start laying? I know they'll all lay differently, but just wondering when to expect eggs from them. Thanks........

Paula [​IMG]

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Mine layed within 4-5 months, and almost everyday after that. Good luck!

Chef

3. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Thanks, that's just what I need to know. I've got some that are 4 months old now, so I guess I should be on the lookout.

Paula

4. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    22 weeks is what is usual as with most any other chicken...

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I feel like I've read on a few poultry teaching university websites that 24 weeks is average.

6. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    some of the sex link breeds can lay as early as 16 weeks ,some ameracauna's take up to 24 or 26 weeks Your RIR should start between 18 and 20 weeks , you should also start them on layer feed and oyster shell if you haven't already. Also if they free range you may really have to look around a lot - they love to hide eggs! Just pretend its easter!

7. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    probably 20-22 weeks.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't start mine on layer feed until I see the first egg. It could cause them to mature too early, and you could end up with egg-laying issues such as prolapse later on. JMO.

9. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I've always started it around 18 weeks and have never had any trouble.

10. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Thanks, Guys. They were 4 months old on the 4th of this month, I believe. They're in with my Orps right now, so I'll move them to their own pen tonight, and wait and see what happens.

Paula [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by