What age do RIRs lay?

hippichick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Branch, La
Can anyone out there tell me about what age should I expect my RIRs to start laying? I know they'll all lay differently, but just wondering when to expect eggs from them. Thanks........

Paula
smile.png

Thanks, that's just what I need to know. I've got some that are 4 months old now, so I guess I should be on the lookout.

Paula

some of the sex link breeds can lay as early as 16 weeks ,some ameracauna's take up to 24 or 26 weeks Your RIR should start between 18 and 20 weeks , you should also start them on layer feed and oyster shell if you haven't already. Also if they free range you may really have to look around a lot - they love to hide eggs! Just pretend its easter!

I don't start mine on layer feed until I see the first egg. It could cause them to mature too early, and you could end up with egg-laying issues such as prolapse later on. JMO.

Thanks, Guys. They were 4 months old on the 4th of this month, I believe. They're in with my Orps right now, so I'll move them to their own pen tonight, and wait and see what happens.

Paula
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom