1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do silkies start to go broody, generally speaking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, I'm getting anxious. Jethro is going to be 19 weeks old tomorrow, still a baby. At what age can I expect her to first lose her mind over the sight of an egg?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    my silkie is atleast 6 months old, and she went broody yesterday. Quite all of a sudden might I add.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    All mine went broody about a month after they started laying. My first ever to go broody was about 5 months old.

I'm waiting for 6 months from now when you're sayin' "She's broody again?!?" or "Guess which inconvenient place she went broody this time?" [​IMG]

5. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I'm still waiting for an egg from my 3 - 28 wk. old pullets, let alone go broody!!!!!

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:How 'bout I promise not to complain when it happens? You know how much I've always wanted a broody.

I showed Jethro the eggs in the nestbox this morning, just in case she wants to be an early bloomer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by