What age do their combs turn red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bustermommy, May 21, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have two barred rocks and two New Hampshires. They are five weeks old. Purchased from pullets bin at local feed store. Today, I noticed that 1 of each has a comb starting to turn a little bit pink. Isn't this a little young? Or is this a normal age to start going pink for these breeds?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually they get really red when they start laying or crowing / mating. Sometimes roos will get a little more pink as they grow, though. My 6 week or so Barred Rocks are pale pink they were sold as pullets and look to me like they really are.

Are you wondering about their sex? There are several clues for BR:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=331015&p=1

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

here are my BR roos, 4 weeks old....already turning red....all 9 of my "pullets" were roos...so everything in this pic is 4 weeks and a roo

[​IMG]

here is a shot of my newest...a BR pullet, see the difference in feather color? Also her comb is not as prominent.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  4. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Jody........even that one on top second from the right? Did he develop his comb later?

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    All signs are that they really are pullets. The BRs have the round dark feathers, no wattles, small combs. But it freaked me out when I saw some pink on the comb. I know they're supposed to have red combs as adult girls, but these are my first chicks so am not sure when I can expect comb growth and color.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    this is my BR when it was 2-1/2 weeks old and it's omb was more red than the others, and it's white spot was connectd to it's neck. it was also lighter than the others, but i also had another and it barrely got red at 4 weeks. it was lighter than the others though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by