What age do turkeys roost outside?

@Huntmaster I wanted to ask, how many birds do you have per square foot do you have in your pens? My turkeys have access to 200 acres or more (public land), but barely travel 50 feet from the coop.
I don't have trouble with birds wondering off they know where its safe and all the food is. Just in spring I have to keep my hens penned to keep them from going off to hide nest. Plus I do controlled selective breeding, and it keeps hens safe from predators while nesting.

Usually my poults at about 8 to 12 weeks old once let out in run don't want to go back inside. When they start roosting outside that's when I move them to there full outdoor grow pens.
That is what I thought my turkeys would do, but they still go inside. I can't figure out if they prefer to sleep in the chicken coop (strange), or if they are physically unable to jump onto the tree roost.

You could try giving them a lower roost if you want them out of the coop. They probably feel safer in coop than on the ground if they cant figure out how to get up into tree. At that age I wouldn't see y they cant get up there.

You could try giving them a lower roost if you want them out of the coop. They probably feel safer in coop than on the ground if they cant figure out how to get up into tree. At that age I wouldn't see y they cant get up there.
Good idea. I can just put a ladder next to the tree so they can get to the lowest branch. Eventually I should build a pen but I will think more about how to make it.

I have a radio playing all night so hopefully that will deter owls until the turkeys are bigger.

Back
Top Bottom