What age do you leave chicks outside during the day?

Gracekelly76

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Sydney NSW Australia
I have 2 week old chicks and I've been putting them outside since they were 8 days old when I feel it's warm enough, I put them outside at 13 degrees c (55 degrees Fahrenheit) and they all stayed in the shade.

How much cooler do you think they'd still be comfortable in?

Oh goodness. I would not put them out at all at this age. If they're 2 weeks old they should be in a brooder with constant access to 80-90 degree fahrenheit temps. Please don't put them out when it's that cold for longer than a few minutes.

Oh goodness. I would not put them out at all at this age. If they're 2 weeks old they should be in a brooder with constant access to 80-90 degree fahrenheit temps. Please don't put them out when it's that cold for longer than a few minutes.
Why not? If they are happy and comfortable I don't see the issue?

I'm pretty sure they are just fine if they all choose the shaded area over the sunny side

Why not? If they are happy and comfortable I don't see the issue?

I'm pretty sure they are just fine if they all choose the shaded area over the sunny side
Unfortunately, this is not healthy for them. They will not grow correctly in this cold environment for extended periods of time. They need a heater or a broody mom.

Unfortunately, this is not healthy for them. They will not grow correctly in this cold environment for extended periods of time. They need a heater or a broody mom.
I don't see how it isn't when they are happy and active, that's what matters. I know what a cold chick looks like and they aren't it.
I've had a broody raise chicks before and they have stayed out from her protection on warm days just like my motherless ones, I take them in before the sun sets and only let them out when the sun is shining warm enough.

I can send photos of them how they are at 2 weeks, 4 weeks or whatever age you want and you can judge if they are growing correctly, I believe they are healthy and happy, even my Orpington cross who has been smaller than the others since birth

I don't see how it isn't when they are happy and active, that's what matters. I know what a cold chick looks like and they aren't it.
I've had a broody raise chicks before and they have stayed out from her protection on warm days just like my motherless ones, I take them in before the sun sets and only let them out when the sun is shining warm enough.

I can send photos of them how they are at 2 weeks, 4 weeks or whatever age you want and you can judge if they are growing correctly, I believe they are healthy and happy, even my Orpington cross who has been smaller than the others since birth

I think they’re just fine. I put three week old chicks into an outdoor pen, no heat lamp, with night temps of 40-50. At first they had a five gallon bucket with straw in to keep warm, but they only used it for a few days. They did just fine, very happy healthy chicks now at seven weeks old.

I think they’re just fine. I put three week old chicks into an outdoor pen, no heat lamp, with night temps of 40-50. At first they had a five gallon bucket with straw in to keep warm, but they only used it for a few days. They did just fine, very happy healthy chicks now at seven weeks old.
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Their body language let's us know like when they are cold they will huddle and tremble, when they are too hot they will have their mouths open like mine were in the sun until I put a towel over for shade.

Other than that if the chicks are happy, active and comfortable then the conditions outside are ideal for them

I put them outside at 13 degrees c (55 degrees Fahrenheit) and they all stayed in the shade.
In the sun, yes, they could be too warm and seek the shade....or they may have been spooked and felt sheltered there. Hard to say for sure without knowing all the variables of their experience.

If they're 2 weeks old they should be in a brooder with constant access to 80-90 degree fahrenheit temps.
IMO that's too hot for 2 week olds....maybe 80°F under the heater, but could go much cooler ambient temp.
Here's my thoughts on chick heat with a lamp:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

I've had a broody raise chicks before and they have stayed out from her protection
That's bit different, as they can go under mama to stay warm, especially at night.
At 2 weeks they are not fully feathered and would probably need some heat, especially at night.
What are your night temps?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614129206894.png

In the sun, yes, they could be too warm and seek the shade....or they may have been spooked and felt sheltered there. Hard to say for sure without knowing all the variables of their experience.

IMO that's too hot for 2 week olds....maybe 80°F under the heater, but could go much cooler ambient temp.
Here's my thoughts on chick heat with a lamp:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

That's bit different, as they can go under mama to stay warm, especially at night.
At 2 weeks they are not fully feathered and would probably need some heat, especially at night.
What are your night temps?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2542729
They were hot in the sun as they had their mouths open so I covered half their cage with a towel and they stayed under there, they weren't spooked, I have handled them a lot and I take them in before the sun goes down so they don't get cold

The temperature is 4 degrees higher today but I didn't put them out because of a slight breeze and cloud cover

I will add my location now, thank you

Back
Top Bottom