What age does a hen wean chicks?

Eureka! I've now got a third hen laying as I can tell by the egg colour. Now its possible it could be one of my light Sussex pullets which are 19 weeks plus but odds on it's the SLW with the older chick as I've seen her hanging around the coop. Junior also seems to be off doing her own thing more too 🙂

I have 2 silver laced wyandotte hens both with a lone chick. One chick is 11 weeks and the other is 9 weeks. Both still hang out with their mums day and night (the flock free ranges throughout the day) and I've seen no sign of their mums chasing them off which is how I presume they wean. I would like the hens to get back into egg laying!.
I was weaned at about 16 years. My sister is still not weaned at 29- it all depends on the chick and the mom 🤣🤣🤣

Ok so it is the SLW who is laying and she has weaned her chick at 12 weeks. Poor little pullet now gets chased off by Mum and has no friends. It sidled up to her yesterday and Mum pecked her so viciously that she ripped out a tail feather. Definitely weaned.

Back
Top Bottom