What age is best for telling the breeds of the chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sweetlilbaby, May 20, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Mine are 8 days old. They were supposed to be silkies but they are not! I recently was given 3 dozen silkie eggs and they are much smaller eggs then what these chicks came from.
    these are from 5 white eggs, and one deep dark brown egg. The orangish chick is from the dark brown egg. 2 white ones have feathered legs. In the second pic the one from the brown egg is laying down.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    They are definitaly not silkies. The brown one from the brown egg looks to be a production red. The white ones, I'm not too sure of.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Production reds come from really deep dark brown eggs? The egg was a chocolate brown.

4. drpurl

drpurl Chirping

Aug 17, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I do not know enought about that kind but cute chicks!

5. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Thanks. I don't know much about breeds. I am use to having RIRs and leghorns (along with a few random breeds). I'm not sure what these chicks are but I hope that the one from the dark brown egg is a hen. I'd love dark brown eggs. I'm pretty sure my white ones are leghorn mix's. But it's just throwing me off with two red chicks looking alike but one came from a white egg, and one from a dark brown egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: