What age leave chicks free access to run?

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
Assumption : my run is stone cold predator proof. That is not a concern.

At what age can I trust the chicks to be left with the pop door removed (my long term plan) so they have free access to the run without someone opening and closing the coop door? At 6 weeks are they OK to do this?

I would hate for them to end up staying out in inclement weather (whether that means 100 degrees sun beating on them and not moving to a shady part of the run, or a sudden thunderstorm in mid afternoon while I am at work etc)?

I just put my 6 (almost 7) week olds out in the run a few days ago and they are doing fine. I take them in every night. Just make sure they have access to food and water in the run in case they can't get back up the ramp.

I know you said leaving the run is not a concern, but my six week olds can leave the run and take care of themselves in terms of getting back to shelter . That’s not too young to give them access to a safe run.

When I move mine to coop, around 5 weeks, I leave them locked in it for a couple days, so they get to know it as home, then open the pop door. Each group has carefully oriented themselves, so they know how to get home, before going too far from the door. And they all knew to come in out of the rain.

Back
Top Bottom