What age should I let my chicks free range outside the chicken run?

Lrelliott

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
I currently am a first-time chicken mom😊 to 10 lovely australorps. (I got them from Tractor supply and they came in the mail... Who knew?!) I currently have a coop with built with a completely enclosed area that is attached to an enclosed run. The chicks are now about 6wks old. They are roosting and getting use to their wings and new feathers. When should i start to let them outside of the run onto our land to free range? We dont have many trees on our 2 acres and im very aware of hawks as predators so should they get bigger before letting them out? Also they dont like being in the dark.... Lol. I still use the brood lamp but up high so its not too warm mainly just as a light source....We let them out of the coop and into the run at dawn but leave the connecting door open. Then we bring them in around dusk back into the coop and we usually have to shoo them in. We have food and water in both the coop
FullSizeR(3).jpg
618858243(1).jpg
20200909_143022.jpg
amd run.
Anyone have some advice? I think i may close off the connecting door to the run and reopen at dusk. Maybe that will make them more willing to go in at night??

I normally let mine range when they have all their feathers and can stand cold and hot temperatures. If they seem to be doing OK inside the run, they should be fine outside the run.
I would watch them, to make sure they don't get picked off by hawks and other predators until they are a bit bigger.
Your chicks are adorable!!!!!!!!!!:love😍

Very adorable. I agree with previous post! At least wait until fully feathered and also do it in increments when you can be watching them. They'll be on the small side for a while!

depends mainly on how much time youve spent with them and how trained you have them and they need to be old enough to have their bearings, which yours look old enough to me .. i free range all my birds so thats one reason i 'dont' give them unlimited food, i use food and timing of feeding to get them up when i want them up .. thats crucial to their well being especially when not fully matured ... they should come running in or out of the coop/run when you have 'the cup' and its feeding time and run right up to you ... until you have them on that program its risky to let them out, chasing birds in the evening when your tired isnt fun lol ...

I always wait until after they lay the first egg. I like them to be conditioned that the coop is their home and where they lay eggs. I feel like it makes it easier getting them back in the coop to lock up also because they know when I go to it I'm putting food or water in there and possibly a special treat. Chickens are creatures of habit so if they get used to something it makes routine easier. But that's just me.
As far as hawks and other things that may kill them...well they'll kill them if they're big or little so that does not really make a difference.

depends mainly on how much time youve spent with them and how trained you have them and they need to be old enough to have their bearings, which yours look old enough to me .. i free range all my birds so thats one reason i 'dont' give them unlimited food, i use food and timing of feeding to get them up when i want them up .. thats crucial to their well being especially when not fully matured ... they should come running in or out of the coop/run when you have 'the cup' and its feeding time and run right up to you ... until you have them on that program its risky to let them out, chasing birds in the evening when your tired isnt fun lol ...
I agree with the "timing" and "routine" setting. I just started digging a little deeper into all of this.i had chickens when i was younger but they were kept inside a large dog pen and we just made sure there was food and water. I will have to start training them. They do come to me when i walk into the run. They are only a few that dont like to be touched or handled so i need to work a little more with them too. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom