1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age should i taken them out of the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PepsNick, Sep 26, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I will be getting a blue ameraucana, dark brahma, blue laced red Wyandotte, and white silkie. At what age should I take them out of the brooder? I have never ordered from hatcheries before.

2. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Theyll be day old chicks when i get them.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Depends on how big your brooder is and how many chicks!

4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    4 chicks. Brooder--- about 3 x 2 feet. Ill be getting them next month (October) and i live in Atlanta Georgia. Even when they're in the brooder they'll spend a few hours outside in the run with me everyday. I think I'll house them in the garage in winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
  5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I waited until mine were fully feathered, so about 7 or 8 weeks? although I continued to expand my brooder as they grew. You'll be able to tell when they get too big for the brooder! For one that small I'd say maybe 4-5 weeks?

6. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    I had 3 chicks in a 3x4x2 brooder until they were 4-5 weeks in sunny california...they are now almost 9 weeks and are in the coop and run full-time.

7. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I have 4 four week old chicks (RIRs, Delaware, Gold Lace Wyandotte) in a 2x4x2 brooder whch I can expand to 2x6x2. From the looks of it, they should be OK in there until I can get them into the coop. They can and do fly out every now and then, but I have them out everyday, so it doesn't seem to be that interesting. I also have a piece of 2x4 in there as a roost. It's about 5" off the bottom. They are feathering in really well...almost past the scraggly stage. I figure another 3 weeks(?), 4 may be pushing it, until they are pretty well fully feathered and then they'll be out. This is my first time, so I might be dreaming that that brooder will be large enough until they go out....but I am hoping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by