Featured What age to allow chicks to roam the yard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MBGone, May 7, 2019.

1. MBGone

MBGone In the Brooder

May 2, 2019
    At what age should chicks be introduced to the yard even if it's only for a few minutes or hours?
    When can they eat bugs, grass etc?

2. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    I let mine in the run around 3 weeks.

3. Are you talking letting them loose in your yard?
    Probably dont want to do that as they can be challenging to catch.
    If you have a cage, even a wire dog cage. Line it with hardwre cloth so they cant escape thru the bars. You could set it in the grass and let them enjoy for the warmest part of the day. I would not leave them unattended for long as there are so many things that can happen. The sun might be to hot and no shade, or neighbors cat or dog come over and create havoc....
    I have sen posts where chicks have disapeared from these cages. But they did not layer it with smaller wire first.

4. MBGone

MBGone In the Brooder

May 2, 2019
    Thank you. Wow 3 weeks huh. That will be a fun stepping stone in this adventure.

5. MBGone

MBGone In the Brooder

May 2, 2019
    Thank you... I do understand your points. Those little things have some real get-up-and-go! I will certainly account for that.
    I would still appreciate your opinion as to what age they can be introduced to the back yard.

6. ErinOrr79

ErinOrr79 Chirping

May 5, 2019
    I actually just brought my crew out for the first time today !! They're 4 weeks old n I sat with them in the pen the whole time lol . Its so fun watching them do "grown chicken" things like scratching and sunbathing while they're still so little lol !!! Good luck with your babies n have fun !!! ❤

7. Expand on "backyard" for me.
    Fenced? Coop & run? Free range?
    What preditors are in your area?

8. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    If they have access to grit, you can take them out at any point, but you basically have to set up an outdoor brooder. Heat source, shelter, and sit right next to them the whole time so nothing can get at em. Fence them in or they'll bolt.

9. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Mine get moved out to coop at about 4 weeks and they have access to part of the run (after 2 or 3 days locked in coop.) I have seen each batch of chicks carefully orient themselves when they venture out, so they know how to get back in. Here's these bantams' first discovery of the outdoors:
    1st time out 4 weeks.jpg

BugMunch, Robert G, Sequel and 15 others like this.
  10. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I let mine run free at 6 weeks but they get daily outings in the chick pen at two weeks.
    I am here 24/7 and set my pen where I can see and hear from the house and i'm also aware of where the shade is and isn't during the day.
    The chick pen is pvc pipe with yardgard plastic fence zip tied to the sides and top it is 5X5X5 so I can stand up in there and the chicks can flap till doomsday.:) 20190411_133131.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: