What age to allow chicks to roam the yard?

Pics
Are you talking letting them loose in your yard?
Probably dont want to do that as they can be challenging to catch.
If you have a cage, even a wire dog cage. Line it with hardwre cloth so they cant escape thru the bars. You could set it in the grass and let them enjoy for the warmest part of the day. I would not leave them unattended for long as there are so many things that can happen. The sun might be to hot and no shade, or neighbors cat or dog come over and create havoc....
I have sen posts where chicks have disapeared from these cages. But they did not layer it with smaller wire first.

Are you talking letting them loose in your yard?
Probably dont want to do that as they can be challenging to catch.
If you have a cage, even a wire dog cage. Line it with hardwre cloth so they cant escape thru the bars. You could set it in the grass and let them enjoy for the warmest part of the day. I would not leave them unattended for long as there are so many things that can happen. The sun might be to hot and no shade, or neighbors cat or dog come over and create havoc....
I have sen posts where chicks have disapeared from these cages. But they did not layer it with smaller wire first.
Thank you... I do understand your points. Those little things have some real get-up-and-go! I will certainly account for that.
I would still appreciate your opinion as to what age they can be introduced to the back yard.

Mine get moved out to coop at about 4 weeks and they have access to part of the run (after 2 or 3 days locked in coop.) I have seen each batch of chicks carefully orient themselves when they venture out, so they know how to get back in. Here's these bantams' first discovery of the outdoors:
1st time out 4 weeks.jpg

I let mine run free at 6 weeks but they get daily outings in the chick pen at two weeks.
I am here 24/7 and set my pen where I can see and hear from the house and i'm also aware of where the shade is and isn't during the day.
The chick pen is pvc pipe with yardgard plastic fence zip tied to the sides and top it is 5X5X5 so I can stand up in there and the chicks can flap till doomsday.:)
20190411_133131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom