what age to find homes for roo chicks? UPDATE: sold in just 36 hrs!

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So, here is my other question of the day
tongue.png
--

Of the 6 golden campines, 4 (possibly 5) are male. So at some point I need to start trying to find some of them new homes... preferably homes that would pay me $5 or whatever, but if I get desperate, free will be fine too.

What is peoples' experience as to the age at which they are most 'adoptable' so to speak? They are basically fully feathered in now, and have good-sized fairly red combs, but still, they're just a month old. I would prefer to wait at least another couple weeks til they don't need heat any more, but then am I best off advertising them (like on feedstore bulletin boards) now, or waiting a few months, or what?

Personally I'd prefer them gone sooner rather than later but am entirely willing to keep them on until whatever age maximizes my chances of finding takers.

Thanks for any advice (and if there's anyone in Ontario that would like a Golden Campine roo... free of charge...
wink.png
),

Pat

Last edited:
I like to wait until they have matured enough so I can pick my best flock roos, however this is later not sooner. You can adopt out chicks at any age you wish, it is however easier if they are past what we (at my house) refer to as the ugly stage (half way through the feathering in stage). If you send them to homes that aren't familiar with their care needs you can always send along an info sheet, or perhaps you will be lucky enough that they will be adopted by someone familiar with chickens. Good luck on you new home search.

If you know you don't want to keep any of them, get them gone asap! I start early, ask a price, then if you don't sell them, give them away. I can't have roos where I live though, so I like to get em outta here!

youll get more money for them , the larger/older they are

i would keep them a little longer.. they are only a month old

i have 10 13 week olds, and five of them are males. i still have them running around.. picking out who i like better etc. and waiting until they get beautiful and bigger.. so ill get a little bit more for them.

I get them gone as soon as I can tell they're roos if it's not a breed I'm needing to add a roo for. Then they get to stick around long enough I can tell how they're gonna look.

Quote:
I paid $20 for my young, but full grown RIR roo at the Nt Forest sale, and, that was standard price.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice as to what age, sorry.

I gave mine away @ 6 weeks old. They were plenty old enough then for me to tell which ones I wanted to keep. I kept one for his personality and one because his feathered feet were awesome and he's got a good personality. The lady who took them offered to pay me, but as my SO has known the family since childhood and I knew they were getting a good home, I declined payment.

Get rid of them before you name them
sad.png
, and start kissing their cute little combies
sad.png
, and having them follow you around begging for grapes
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom