1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What age to free Range Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shelbycobra, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Shelbycobra

Shelbycobra Hatching

Dec 9, 2008
    We have nice fenced 1/2 acre area and I believe it is dog proof, ( 4 foot non clilmb) The coop and the run are within this area . My chickens are 8 weeks old and I am anxious to let them free range but I am worried they are still to small, and at risks from cats and hawks. How old, or big should they be, before I let them have run of a big yard?
    My Friends chickes seem huge in comparison. I have two Delaware, 2 Rhode Islands, 2 Black sex linked, 2 Silver Wyandotte and 2 Orpingtons.

Thanks
    Renee

2. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    By 8 weeks most cats will leave chickens alone. However you'll always have to worry about hawks [​IMG]

3. stephenkeener

stephenkeener In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Ellijay,GA
    I like to be sure they are roosting good. I've not only had hawk problems ,If I remember right I think I also had rat problems at somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks but this is usually a night time problem

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine were running around the yard for short periods of time, under constant supervision @ 2 1/2 weeks old. As they got older I gave them more and more time outside and less and less supervision. Now as adults I check on them a couple times a day and just keep my ears tuned to any unusual sounds. If there's a problem my rooster or one of the dogs let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by