What age to put chicks in with grown chickens?

I don't know the answer cause I'm in the same boat. Most of my hens ignore the littler ones, except the rooster and the lowest hen in the pecking order. They'll grab the chicks and pull out a beak full of feathers. I expected some feather loss and chasing, but Ellie & Duke are just being really mean. So I'm wondering the same thing, is this just pecking order stuff or do I need to wait longer?

I have 4 Barred Rock pullets, which are out in the coop. They are 13 wk's.
We have also 4 Ameraucana pullets in the brooder. They are 5 wk's old. They have there feathers almost in and getting to big for brooder but yet they are still not comparison in size to our Barred Rock.
Should we intermingle? Them for a short time under supervision? If so what or how would be best to handle this. If it is even a idea or a no go.
Thanks for your help
J4VU

Well, I tried it today. I let the younger ones out with the others. I think it went well. The older ones pecked a little, but those little ones are quick. They had supervised freedom for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. No blood was shed and 2 of my girls couldn't care less. So, I think I just might do this for a couple days and see how it goes. The BA's need more room to stretch their legs. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

I have some 3 month olds and some 1 month olds and I'll be glad when I can put the two groups together. Will make it soooooo much easier on me but these 3 month olds are as big as the grown ones are already. Anyway all the roos will be butchered so I wanted to put them all together so I could free range them.

I have tried like 4 times not to put my 4 month olds with the older girls and they will gang up on one of them. Wondering IF I put them on the roost with them at night time would that work? Only thing I worry about them in the early morning hours when it's daylight and I'm asleep not watching what's going on with them. ???? It's never been THIS hard to get two groups together before and they have been INSIDE the pen with these chickens for 2 months or more now with wire between them so they could see one another. I really need to get them put together soon so they can get used to one another and the juvie girls can explore the nesting area so they will know where they need to be laying their eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom