What age to remove food at bedtime?

Desertguardian

Chirping
Feb 15, 2023
My baby chicks are 5 weeks old and I was told when they get older to remove all feed and water at night. What age do I do this? and why do I have to remove the water also?? Hope to get advise. Thanks.

My baby chicks are 5 weeks old and I was told when they get older to remove all feed and water at night. What age do I do this? and why do I have to remove the water also?? Hope to get advise. Thanks.
Mine are a year old and still have access to food at night. Mine had access to water and food 24/7 until they moved outside and now water is outside and food is inside the coop😊

Chickens don’t eat or drink at night, so it doesn’t really matter if they have access to it or not.
I have chicks that are 12 weeks that only have food and water outside and that also works but if you have food outside make sure it’s 100% predictor proof or the predictor could get more tempted to beak in to also eat their food😊

You don't have to. Most of us that do it, do it to lessen the attraction to rodents. And my waterer sits in the run so it never gets removed.

Since you were asking specifically about chicks, my chicks do not have night time food or water access from around 4 weeks of age on, because they're already in with the adults at that point and I take away the feeder from adults at night.

IF you have a brooder that's lit 24/7 (red heat bulb or otherwise) you need to leave both food and water in with them as they'll remain active at night.

Back
Top Bottom