What age to worm chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 21, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    At what age should I worm my chicks for the first time? My Welsummers and Sebrights are about 9-10 weeks now, I have some others in the range of 6-8 weeks. Okay time to worm with Ivermectin? Or should I let them grow some more?

I've been wanting to worm them badly but was afraid of doing it to early and either killing them or causing serious digestive upset.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You`re too anxious. You shouldn`t be concerned about worms til they are at least 6 mos. and then look for worms in their droppings. If you don`t see any or if everyone is looking and acting healthy, don`t worm them. If they start having symptoms, then look for worms, but don`t jump the gun........Pop

3. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:I was kinda worried as the chicks just seem thin (they have 24/7 22% feed, water, and grass) and never seem really PLUMP. Maybe it's just because their still growing? My Welsummers seem to have filled out pretty nicely with plump breasts. I want to double check them again though.

Like I said, everyone has constant access to food in the tractor, and ALMOST constant access to food outside (I generally feed 3x per day and they can't completely clear it).

Everyones really active, eating and drinking plenty, am I just mothering them to much? [​IMG] The older birds are all wormed, as are the dogs.

4. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Thanks for this word of restraint. I've read several threads on worming and was beginning to think that I need to medicate my girls, regardless of symptoms. I'm not a fan of medicating without specific cause, not for myself or my animals. Of course innoculations are another matter.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Even innoculations should be done with restraint. Mareks is one that usually is done at the hatchery, if requested. Others on a need basis.........Pop

1 person likes this.
  6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Trust Pop, he has excellent advice.

I never treat anything unless the specific need arises.

7. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    If you want to worm them without using the actual wormer, use garlic. Smash some cloves in their water. Its a great organic way to get rid of worms.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by