what age would you eat a silkie?

My silkie hen lays 2 or 3 eggs then goes broody for almost a month. She isn't what I would call a producer. She's super broody and very sweet, she runs up to my kids and loves to be held.

I would expect that this breed doesn't follow the same ~4months to first lay, schedule.

I wouldn't eat one, they have blue skin and black bones, strange.

she just started laying a few days ago
wee.gif

i told you guys she was definitely a girl
tongue2.gif

I can't imagine eating a Silkie. They are so small, and they look like pets. But thats's just me. There could be a number of reasons that the birds were at the meat plant. The owners got them, and then couldn't keep them. That could because they didn't know anything about chickens and thought that they would start laying in a couple of weeks, or lack on money, or a neighbor complained about the roo crowing, and animal control got involved. Basically you will never know how old they are. I would be patient and wait up to a year to see if she lays.

Quote:
I think we were just all so shocked a Silkie hen of breeding age would be used for food! There are just so many roosters and hens are precious IMO! So congrats to you.

Quote:
they are actually quite yummy. asians love it and value it as a healthy meal. pretty expensive too. although i can't imagine killing one either they are so cute and fluffy....
its sort of sad and pathetic but with silkies i will stick to the ones that are already processed for me. mine will always remain as spoiled pets
roll.png

Last edited:
my post was kinda confusing and it sounds like i am going to eat my silkie but dont worry im not because she is a pet and i wouldn't dream of killing her
big_smile.png

i bought her from a meat market as a rescue and i wanted to know what age they would eat a silkie because i was trying to figure out what age she was to have a estamate of when i would be expecting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom