1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What all brands of poultry feed contain animal bi-products?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kathyinmo, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I just feed a good grain and mineral pellet, without all the mystery plant byproducts, and then a toss them a handful of dry cat food for their animal protein.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:They are ordering some for me. Which one do you use? I like the higher amount of vitamins in the Breeder.

High Flyer™ 22
    A complete grower feed for pheasants, quail, chukars, turkeys and for starting ducks and geese. It is available as a small granule or pellet, either unmedicated or medicated with amprolium, a coccidiostat.
    Crude Protein, min 22.0%
    Lysine, min 1.25%
    Methionine, min 0.48%
    Crude Fat, min 2.5%
    Crude Fiber, max 4.0%
    Calcium (Ca), min 0.8%
    Calcium (Ca), max 1.3%
    Phosphorus (P), min 0.9%
    Salt (NaCl), min 0.15%
    Salt (NaCl), max 0.65%
    Selenium (Se), min 0.3 ppm
    Vitamin A, min 4900 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3, min 1285 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min 17 IU/lb

High Flyer™ 28
    A complete starter feed for pheasants, quail, chukars, and turkeys. It is available as a small granule, either unmedicated or medicated with amprolium, a coccidiostat.
    Crude Protein, min 28.0%
    Lysine, min 1.6%
    Methionine, min 0.65%
    Crude Fat, min 4.0%
    Crude Fiber, max 4.0%
    Calcium (Ca), min 1.2%
    Calcium (Ca), max 1.7%
    Phosphorus (P), min 1.0%
    Salt (NaCl), min 0.25%
    Salt (NaCl), max 0.75%
    Selenium (Se), min 0.3 ppm
    Vitamin A, min 5400 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3, min 1425 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min 18 IU/lb

High Flyer™ Breeder
    A complete feed for pheasant, quail, chukar, and turkey breeders to be fed during the laying season. Available as a pellet.
    Guaranteed Analysis | Feeding Directions
    Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein, min 17.0%
    Lysine, min 0.9%
    Methionine, min 0.45%
    Crude Fat, min 3.5%
    Crude Fiber, max 4.0%
    Calcium (Ca), min 2.5%
    Calcium (Ca), max 3.5%
    Phosphorus (P), min 0.75%
    Salt (NaCl), min 0.2%
    Salt (NaCl), max 0.7%
    Vitamin A, min 7500 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3, min 1960 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min 25 IU/lb

High Flyer™ Maintenance
    A complete feed for pheasants, quail, and chukars to be fed prior to release. Also can be fed to non-laying game bird breeders. Available as a pellet.
    Crude Protein, min 16.0%
    Lysine, min 0.77%
    Methionine, min 0.29%
    Crude Fat, min 3.0%
    Crude Fiber, max 6.0%
    Calcium (Ca), min 0.5%
    Calcium (Ca), max 1.0%
    Phosphorus (P), min 0.8%
    Salt (NaCl), min 0.25%
    Salt (NaCl), max 0.75%
    Vitamin A, min 4100 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3, min 1170 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min 14 IU/lb

3. dfalchek

dfalchek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    Just bought a bag of Blue Seal Home Fresh Extra Egg because so many people on BC forum seem to think Blue Seal products contains animal protein. They do not. The bag boasts of "all-vegetarian" diet and label is quite clear.. Did Blue Seal change the formulation or do posters latch on to ideas that are not fact? I, for one, prefer animal by-products in my feed because it its a more digestable protein. I guess I have to wait for better advice and another feed.

4. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    Wrong! I've been looking for a animal-protein containing feed, and learned the hard way that very few people know anything about the feeds they swear by. So, people, Dumor, Blue Seal, Nutrena -- none of them, contain animal protein. Unless they are making regional blends. 60 percent of posters here make stuff up or are too lazy to check, and then pretend their vegetarian feed has animal protein. My problem is, I don't know what 60 percent! But I'm learning.. and still looking for an actual animal-protein containing feed without looking to the BC crowd for inaccurate information. Thanks, everyone, for the bad info and long drives to get feed! ACV and DE for everyone.

5. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    False. Bad info. Blue Seal does not contain animal protein. Thanks for the old, bad advise and the hour long drive to pick it up.

7. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    Hindsight is always...

You dug up a 4 year old thread to chastise others because or your mistakes? The feeds used to contain animal protein when this thread was started. A little more diligence and research on your part could have saved you some headaches.

1 person likes this.
  8. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    Really? Well, consider me schooled. I had no idea feed mills routinely changed a ingredient, such as the source of protein (which I thought was kinds of important) with so little fanfare. And it's just standard operating procedure you say? Wonder when they are going to switch it up again -- and make all the vegetarian feed meat-containing and all the animal by product-containing feed vegetarian. Is it in odd-numbered years? What a curious business practice.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Let the buyer beware! Feed companies are in business to make money. I have never seen a credit card carrying chicken walk into a feed store. Therefor the feed stores and milling companies must capture you the chicken feed buying publics' attention to sell you their products in order to capture your dollars. Think of it like trying to catch a trap wise raccoon by using an irresistible new bait. Without making too big of a show of it I think that most feed companies would include U235 in their chicken feed if the vocal part of the feed buying public wanted it. Therefor what reason or logic do vegetarian humans have for buying and feeding vegetarian chicken feed to a captive omnivore animal like a chicken? It smacks of wonton cruelty in my book.

The backlash over one cow imported into the United States who came down with Mad Cow caused all the retail feed companies to stock up on Thesauruses. So now instead of ingredients that your chickens knows and loves, you find things like "porcine protein" or "non-ruminant meat and bone meal" instead of the "good stuff" like "Beef byproducts" "milk byproducts" "whey" "bone meal" "animal byproducts" "Tankage", Blood Meal, etc. Those names are like so un-PC and 20th Century don't you know?

Depending on whose Thesaurus that you are currently using, I guess that the definition of non-ruminant meat and bone meal, also includes poultry byproducts, road kill, and even surgical byproducts.

I firmly believe that the buying public get what they ask for, but that the vocal buying public who do all the asking or demanding don't know what the heck that they are asking for or talking about.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote: Pray tell, name one chicken feed with those ingredients listed. We are limited to what is local.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by