What all do baby rabbits need

How old will this bunny be?
Once weaned, growing kits (baby bunnies) need unlimited access to a pelleted feed with at least 16% protein content. They also need unlimited access to hay and fresh water.
Most breeds finish growing at about 6 months of age. Do not purchase if under 4 weeks of age. That is too young to be away from mom.

it will be just getting off of mama bunnys milk
It's usually not a good idea to purchase a kit any younger than 6 weeks of age. This ensures that the kit is fully weaned and completely transitioned to a solid foods diet. Rabbits have very delicate digestive systems. Too much change, too quickly can be fatal.

Do not purchase if under 4 weeks of age. That is too young to be away from mom.

If I had a nickel for every time someone has told me, "we got a baby bunny, but it died," I could probably pay my feed bill for a year, at least.:rant

I'd be willing to bet that most of those bunnies were 6 weeks or less in age. They are very cute at that age, but also very fragile. By 8 weeks, they are a lot sturdier, but they look like young rabbits rather than babies so the "cute factor" isn't there to inspire the impulse buy. They grow fast, so they are also a LOT bigger at 8 weeks, and can give you a pretty good idea of how big they are likely to get (if they aren't purebreds).

Any new rabbit, whatever the age, should have a high-quality pelleted feed, grass hay, and clean water. That's all it should have for the first couple of weeks while it gets adjusted to its new environment. To reduce the stress as much as possible, I usually give some of the feed that the rabbit has been eating to the new owner, so they can transition slowly to the new feed if they are using a different brand than mine.

I agree with the 8 wks recommendation. I just started weaning my latest litter at 6 wks, but wouldn't sell for a couple more weeks to make sure they adjust.

It would also be helpful to know the breed for other recommendations. My 10-12 lb silver fox are treated differently than my daughter's pet dwarf hotot. And now we have Florida White in the mix too...

thanks everyone for your help sorry i dont know the range the guy at the feed store said they are still on the mothers milk and will be ready to sell in a week and a half does that sound right thanks so much for your help

thanks everyone for your help sorry i dont know the range the guy at the feed store said they are still on the mothers milk and will be ready to sell in a week and a half does that sound right thanks so much for your help
They should be fully weaned for at least two weeks before they are sold. And that's just to ensure that they are, in fact, ready to be away from mom. Sounds like they are being sold way too soon/young. If a person cannot tell you exactly how old the kits are, don't buy. It's a red flag.

I asked the guy at the feed store and he said he does not know what age they will be all he knows is they will be ready in a week and a half should I buy or no thanks so much for your help

I asked the guy at the feed store and he said he does not know what age they will be all he knows is they will be ready in a week and a half should I buy or no thanks so much for your help
If he can't tell you exactly how old they are, do not buy. It's very likely he is selling before they are old enough. The odds are that if you do buy, the baby will end up dead, through no fault of your own. Newly weaned kits are very delicate. Switching them from nursing to solids too quickly can be fatal.

Back
Top Bottom