What am I doing wrong I feel like a horrible chicken mommy šŸ˜”

So I have my two little handsome cocks Almanzo and Royal I think their around 13 weeks I can check so far Iā€™ve had a great relationship with them they like to sit in my shoulders come when called follow me come to me when they see me yesterday Almanzo my top cock couldnā€™t get into his run I had just put them away with treats and he really wanted them I went to pick him up like Iā€™ve done all the time he trapped my hand and wouldnā€™t let go I gave him some time to back down but he didnā€™t so I gave him a smack on the back so he would let go i didnā€™t do it hard but he was kinda hurting me he left a big mark I felt very bad right after what am I doing wrong? He was fine with me this morning but I just feel horrible :(
"Boys will be boys" haha. Sometimes the friendliest chicks grow up to be the meanest roosters. I don't think you can change it. Personally, I never keep a mean rooster no matter how I felt about him when he was little. If he's hurting you now at just 3 months or so.....it'll get worse when his hormones really kick in.

I know you don't want to hear this, but yesterdays' and todays behavior with a cockerel is NOT an indicator about next week, or even tomorrow.

I think you did the right thing in thumping him back. If he had a chicken mama, she'd have cleaned his clock. In the chicken world, respect comes with distance. Closeness is not a sign of friendliness, but rather a sign of no fear, and disrespect. He will be expecting you to give into him, and can become much more aggressive to make it happen.

I am hoping you got it stopped now, it is a narrow window, and this forum is full of stories where the darling became the nightmare. The chick phase is past. You need to be very aware. It is not uncommon at all for a rooster to try it, and then be perfectly fine for several days, bidding his time. Waiting for a prime time to attack again.

Mrs K

"Boys will be boys" haha. Sometimes the friendliest chicks grow up to be the meanest roosters. I don't think you can change it. Personally, I never keep a mean rooster no matter how I felt about him when he was little. If he's hurting you now at just 3 months or so.....it'll get worse when his hormones really kick in.
Thankfully heā€™s been good even sitting on my arm or in my lap!

So I have my two little handsome cocks Almanzo and Royal I think their around 13 weeks I can check so far Iā€™ve had a great relationship with them they like to sit in my shoulders come when called follow me come to me when they see me yesterday Almanzo my top cock couldnā€™t get into his run I had just put them away with treats and he really wanted them I went to pick him up like Iā€™ve done all the time he trapped my hand and wouldnā€™t let go I gave him some time to back down but he didnā€™t so I gave him a smack on the back so he would let go i didnā€™t do it hard but he was kinda hurting me he left a big mark I felt very bad right after what am I doing wrong? He was fine with me this morning but I just feel horrible :(
I had some issues with my Roo šŸ“ also when he matured. He seems to be OK for the time being . I had to separate him for just a bit. He is doing better now. He still seems to be protective of his hens šŸ”šŸ”šŸ¤šŸ„ though. I can get along with him how he is at the moment. I thought about getting rid of him though. I will if he gets back to acting like he was. šŸ˜ŖšŸ˜Ŗ Your not a bad Roo Roo mommy.šŸ“ Your to concerned for you to be a bad mommy. šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜ Good luck with your Roo and I love everyone's advice that I get on here. It's great feedback. šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‰šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜ enjoy your šŸ“šŸ“

Back
Top Bottom