What am I doing wrong?! Please help

Okay, that is what we do too. I was thinking all this time I was supposed to be giving them bottled water. LOL
Thanks!

What does everyone do to stop parasites and bacteria then if you don't use vinegar?
i use diatomaceous earth or DE. take a couple of scoops of food and put it in a bowl then add 2 tablespoons of DE to the food and mix it around. feed that mix to them 1 or twice a week or if you think they may have worms feed them the mix everyday for a couple of weeks and it should get rid of whatever is in them. it will even help you if you were to get worms...i know this because it worked for me. DE will help them clear out worms, just make sure you get food grade DE. not the stuff for pool filters. pool filter DE is heat treated and NOT safe to eat. i get mine from our local feed store...its advertised as an anti caking agent for grains sometimes

1 drop of ACV per gallon of water will do absolutely nothing to your birds. ACV is very beneficial. I've known people who have taken ACV every day (I forget how much, but at least a Tablespoon) to get rid of C.diff (a horrible bacterial infection of the gut that has been know to kill people) and it has cleared them right up. My sister was one of them. I strongly stand by garlic and ACV. Galric is GREAT for infections. I haven't been able to overdose my chickens on either galric or ACV (not that I've tried, but I've geven them large doses and they have not only not shown negative symptoms, but have healed.) I had a young pullet get attacked by a dog and her wounds were showing signs of infection. I started putting garlic in everything she ingested. She had so much garlic she and her poo started to smell like garlic. She healed beautifully and is now one of my best layers.
I would totally keep up on the garlic and ACV. They are not too young for it and you are not using too much.

Now, honestly, I have no idea what is wrong with your hens. If I counted correctly you only have 4 left, correct? I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time.
hugs.gif
I would definitely not buy from that woman again. If they continue to die, I would wash and sterilize everything and try again. Chickens really are so much fun. I'll do some more research and see if I find anything for you. You're on the right track!

Take a look at this page. It's my go-to list when I have an ill chicken.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm now wondering if the woman sold us bad hens? I know she sent us home with sick ones? Or am I doing something wrong?

They have a coop with constant access to water and food. They free range 10 or more hours a day. I keep garlic and apple cider vinegar in their water.

I'm so disappointed.
sad.png

Plus now that they have all had or been around hens that have had a respiratory illness I can't introduce anymore hens to the flock.
barnie.gif
The more chickens free range, the more variety of diseases they can pick up. Stagnant puddles of water, muddy areas, migratory birds carrying diseases, protozoans, molds, bacteria can all cause respiratory and digestive problems in chickens. That doesn't mean you shouldn't range your birds, it just means you should take a look around the area they range. Look for dead animal carcasses, keep tall grasses down to prevent increasing populations of slugs, snails, and other host critters. Sunlight is a great disinfectant, so the saying goes.

Don't leave excessive feed sitting out all day for wild birds to pilfer and crap in for your chickens to eat.

You got some sick birds to begin with, and when a bird's immune system is compromised, they are less resistant to even the most common diseases most build immunity to.

Constant use of garlic and apple cider vinegar in the water won't stop any diseases from infecting your birds. You'd be better off spending the money for quality feed, regimented probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes in the water. When symptoms of a disease is present, all the homeopathic methods are out the door when the only proven remedies are specific medication or specific antibiotics. Good genetics and nutritionally balanced diets will build their blood and support a strong immune system.

Here's some info about chicken's immune systems which may help:
http://www.poultryhub.org/physiology/body-systems/immune-system/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom