What am I doing wrong?-Polish Chicks

DesireeB

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
I have lost two baby Polish chicks-one right after the other. They seem great for about five days and then they get weak and die. The other chicks are thriving, of course the Polish chick is the smallest. They have: food, water, heat lamp, everything is kept clean. I am baffled.

They died at five days old? Or they died after five days of having symptoms of being weak? Knowing the age of the chicks at present would help.

Are there any more Polish left? Did you get the Polish from a different source than the others? If so, was it a private breeder? Or were they all bought at a feed store. What is your location?

How many chicks all together? What are the dimensions of the brooder? What is the temperature on the floor of the brooder right underneath the heat lamp?

Answers to all of these questions can provide clues.

They died at five days old? Or they died after five days of having symptoms of being weak? Knowing the age of the chicks at present would help.

Are there any more Polish left? Did you get the Polish from a different source than the others? If so, was it a private breeder? Or were they all bought at a feed store. What is your location?

How many chicks all together? What are the dimensions of the brooder? What is the temperature on the floor of the brooder right underneath the heat lamp?

Answers to all of these questions can provide clues.
Thank you for your reply. Died about two 2-3 after getting sick. no polish left. same source. private breeder. location: NC. 5 chicks all together. Large plastic tub. not sure- was using a red heat bulb with first one and switched to a regular white bulb with second. other chicks did not pick on or isolate polish chicks.

You didn't answer the questions on age when you got them and how old they are now. Died two to three days after getting sick? What were all of the symptoms? Choose all that apply:
lethargic,
failure to grow,
diarrhea,
lack of appetite,
trouble standing,
trouble balancing and walking,
swelling around the eyes,
sneezing,
congestion/noisy breathing,
beak gaping.

We’ve had terrible trouble this year with Polish, they can be so fragile! Once we raised them in a Polish only brooder, it went much better (til they all ended up roos 🤦🏽‍♀️). After a few weeks, they could switch back to the main brooder with standard size chicks even. D’Uccle were just as fragile and we did best with separate brooders the first few weeks as well

I, too, have had a tough go of it with my Polish.

Did you get them shipped? I've heard from a lot of folks that Polish don't do well shipped. Of course, I heard that after I received mine. Sure enough, the Polish was very weak from shipping stress, even though I received them in a little over 24 hours. I had to nurse the Polish pretty much 24/7 for about 2 weeks - syringe feedings and water every 30 minutes, isolated with a heating pad, Nutridrench. I even took her to work with me and kept her on my lap. She also got an eye injury and a beak injury somehow. Not an easy start, to say the least. She's doing very well now even though she's partially blind and will be a special needs chicken for the rest of her little life.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but you might try separating the Polish. If you see it start to go downhill, get her warmed up and hydrated. And I swear by Nutridrench. I've seen it perk up babies with 1 drop.

I, too, have had a tough go of it with my Polish.

Did you get them shipped? I've heard from a lot of folks that Polish don't do well shipped. Of course, I heard that after I received mine. Sure enough, the Polish was very weak from shipping stress, even though I received them in a little over 24 hours. I had to nurse the Polish pretty much 24/7 for about 2 weeks - syringe feedings and water every 30 minutes, isolated with a heating pad, Nutridrench. I even took her to work with me and kept her on my lap. She also got an eye injury and a beak injury somehow. Not an easy start, to say the least. She's doing very well now even though she's partially blind and will be a special needs chicken for the rest of her little life.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but you might try separating the Polish. If you see it start to go downhill, get her warmed up and hydrated. And I swear by Nutridrench. I've seen it perk up babies with 1 drop.
X2 on the Nutri Drench. It has saved 2 baby chickies lives for me. The first had Neuro problems and walked really funny. The second would flip on her back and not be able to get back up.

Nutridrench is seared into my mind as the smell of dead chicks 😭😭😭 We’ve had such a rough go with bantams this year and it’s all I can associate now with the smell
I'm sorry. I raise Cochin Bantams and have never had an issue. And I have 11 assorted Bantams in the house right now that are 4 weeks old. 5 Blue Cochin Bantams, 3 MF Duccles, 1 Silkie, 1 OEGB or Jap, and 1 Golden Laced Sebright.

I'm sorry. I raise Cochin Bantams and have never had an issue. And I have 11 assorted Bantams in the house right now that are 4 weeks old. 5 Blue Cochin Bantams, 3 MF Duccles, 1 Silkie, 1 OEGB or Jap, and 1 Golden Laced Sebright.
Aside from all being roos, the bantam Cochins did great! I think our main issue was shipping temps. Our end of May box of D’Uccle and Brahma all survived and were never even slightly weak. Next year we’ll be able to hatch our own or know better than to get them earlier (even from the feed store) ☺️

Back
Top Bottom