What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ritter5family, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ritter5family

ritter5family New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    We got our first hens back in March. We have four Buff Orpingtons, two Australorps, and three Auracanas. They are 6 months old now and we haven't gotten a single egg from any of them. They have plenty of layer feed and fresh water every day. They have plenty of space in their coop and a fenced area where they can range but since its contained, I can know that they're not hiding eggs any where. There's no signs that they are eating them and they all appear healthy. We do not have a rooster. Does that make a difference? Am I missing something or should I just be more patient?
  2. lawrencerooney

lawrencerooney Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    In the hand of God
    I am having this same problem, although my hens are older. I will look foward to what anybody else has to say about this situation.
  3. Tara80

Tara80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    If it helps, for the longest time I thought my hens weren't laying and it ended up being a rat that would go into the pen and steal the eggs. We caught it in the act one afternoon and had to leave traps (it actually ended up being 3 rats).
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by