what am I seeing??

just did the green one again... cell phone photo

51084_egg.jpg

51084_eggcandle2.jpg

at day 7 these just had the dark shadow in half the egg.... no veins I could see

At day 7, you should be able to see veins. But if your light isn't bright enough, maybe you won't. If you see a small black dot, like, 3-5mm in size, that is a tiny embryo developing just like it should. When you see a big shadow that takes up a lot of space in the egg, that is the yolk. If you can't see a black dot, it most likely isn't fertile. Word of warning though: If you're new to candling and you're not sure, leave them in the bator unless they actually smell bad! Just about every hatch I've done, there's an egg I'm certain isn't developing, then it goes ahead and hatches! I actually find it funny to mark the presumed duff ones and then wait for them to hatch out...

there's 2 that i saw for sure tiny black dots inside the yolk part that looked like they were moving kind of? i still don't see veins though even on those. I tried to get a pic, but my camera won't pick it up. I think its a mix between the light and possibly really thick shells since we started feeding this stuff to make shells stronger a couple months ago? I'll try again tonight and see if i can get better ones... I'm not pulling anyting out until i know for sure they are all smelling!

I have Rhode Island Reds and they have brown eggs. I have found that I have to wait till the sun goes down to candle or it is hard to see anything. The darker the room the better. Your first photo seems like there you were in a room with light. But I do see veins in your other photos. What is the temperature? One of your photos looks like it is developing quickly.

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually I see veining in both of these eggs.

Yeah now... but at day 7 there was nothing... just the dark shadows. This is at day 13

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't worry about the no veins unless / untill it becomes obvious the eggs are duds. This is my first time incubating and I think I just didn't have the right light etc to see veins before now. Give it a week and try again.

Back
Top Bottom