What am I?

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Hi,

I received a really nice selection of Rare Breed Assortment from Meyer Hatchery and I am unable to identify a few. They are all 5 weeks old.

#1 - Black Marans? Cockerel? Has feathered feet:

#2 - Golden Cuckoo Marans? Cockerel? Has feathered feet:

#3 pullet? No idea what this is?

#4 pullet? No idea what this is?

#5 pullet? Barnevelder?

3 is Blue Laced Gold Wyandotte. 4 is Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Wyandottes are tricky to sex, due to their flat rose combs. 1 could be Marans, looks like a pullet for now. 2 looks like a Golden Cuckoo Marans, and is definitely a cockerel, give how wide the white bars are. 5, can't see the comb type. Either Barnevelder or Dark Cornish.

3 is Blue Laced Gold Wyandotte. 4 is Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Wyandottes are tricky to sex, due to their flat rose combs. 1 could be Marans, looks like a pullet for now. 2 looks like a Golden Cuckoo Marans, and is definitely a cockerel, give how wide the white bars are. 5, can't see the comb type. Either Barnevelder or Dark Cornish.

X2 on junebuggena's post.

Thanks everyone!
According to their website, it looks like Meyer sells BLRW's but not BLGW's on their website, so maybe they are both BLRW? Though, I agree they look different.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
According to their website, it looks like Meyer sells BLRW's but not BLGW's on their website, so maybe they are both BLRW?  Though, I agree they look different.

They are both what Meyer sells as Blue laced red wyandottes. However, the "blue" comes in a range from black to splash with various shades of blue in the middle. The "red" is supposed to be a nice dark mahogany red but is usually gold or a lighter red in hatchery stock due to past crosses between the blue laced red and golden laced varieties.

Update: I STILL don't know what she is?! This was in a "rare breed" assortment from Meyer.

This was her at about 5 weeks. Slate colored legs, pea comb.

This is her now at 16 weeks:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom