What am I . . .

I'm curious what they do about hens that crow?
One of our hens we consider the matriarch, has crowed at times over the years, and since the crowing was so infrequent there were never any complaints. Our mama hen was one of three barred rocks we got in the first year we started having backyard chickens, 2013. Mama and her two "sisters" ruled the roost, to be sure. One of the 3 barred rocks was the one the one that crowed. The sisters kept all the girls in line and were always in the front row of the roost. Every once in a while they would allow one of the other hens to sit with them on the roost. Watching all of our girls and the different personalities of the different breeds, was fascinating. I also didn't realize chickens can reach the age of 8, as 3 from our first batch of hens will be next month. We also have a few left from our second batch of hens we got the following years. Very healthy ladies.

One of our hens we consider the matriarch, has crowed at times over the years, and since the crowing was so infrequent there were never any complaints. Our mama hen was one of three barred rocks we got in the first year we started having backyard chickens, 2013. Mama and her two "sisters" ruled the roost, to be sure. One of the 3 barred rocks was the one the one that crowed. The sisters kept all the girls in line and were always in the front row of the roost. Every once in a while they would allow one of the other hens to sit with them on the roost. Watching all of our girls and the different personalities of the different breeds, was fascinating. I also didn't realize chickens can reach the age of 8, as 3 from our first batch of hens will be next month. We also have a few left from our second batch of hens we got the following years. Very healthy ladies.
oh definitely! they have a much longer lifespan when cared for and protected from predators than youd expect.

Gold Sebright pullet. The breed is hen-feathered, but a six month old cockerel would have a much larger comb and wattles at this point. And if they are anything like other bantams, he'd have been crowing at six weeks and never stopped. Plus Sebright males have a reputation for being a bit snarky...

Here are some better pictures of Tinker. Tinker hasn't crowed for a couple of weeks but decided to crow about 5Xs in a row a few days ago. What I am think though is that Tinker is a layer because of how many small eggs we are getting. When I bought Tinker, I also got a Silkie. We are getting small eggs almost daily, and one of the eggs is slightly paler than they other. I am thinking the tiny egg is a fairy egg either from one of the youngsters or one of the old gals. The large egg is a store bought egg since aside from the new kids, the old gals are have been slacking in their egg laying for over three months. Any comments from the experts are very appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom