What am I??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by justusnak, Mar 18, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

this is the "freebie" I got from MM, when I ordered chicks....it is 1 week old...and I have NO clue what it might be. Any Ideas??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

In the first and last picture, it looks like a Barred Rock. But the second picture, with the yellow chest, throws me off.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Maybe a Dominique??? I cant waite to see it full grown! HOPEING its a hen...but doubt it.

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm completely new to this forum -and to raising chicks- but I just got my first flock about a week and a half ago, and this chick looks exactly like my Cuckoo Maran chicks. McMurray has them here: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/cuckoo_maran.html

Here
    is a picture of my chicks from a few days ago, the Marans are yellowish with black & white wings:
    [​IMG]

If it's not a Maran it's probably some kind of Barred Rock. But either way it should be a great layer!

5. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I can tell you this barred rocks have yellow leg and marans have white/pink color legs both breads will show some black on the legs also.

6. mlheran

Wow, you're right -I didn't notice that! Thanks. [​IMG]

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

mlheren...in your pic....on the right side...the little black one....what is that?? Looks JUST like mine! Oh I cant waite to see it full grown whatever it is! Will be my ONLY black chick...other than my frizzles.

8. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    It could be silver laced wyandotte or barred rock. It looks like the silver laced like I got![​IMG]

9. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    It does look like a barred rock? but the freebie wouldn't be a common breed? - it would be a more rare one like the others suggested. I looked in MM book to ID mine from the pic's - my best guess for mine is a Phoenix?
    Take a look at the the White faced Spanish for yours?? It is very hard to tell.

10. mlheran

Quote:Both of them are Cuckoo Marans -they're adorable in the puffball stage and should look like Barred Rocks when they get older. They are also called "Chocolate Eggers" because they lay really dark brown eggs. I can't wait to see them grow either! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by