What am I?

ChickCa

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2020
30D65CA6-2F59-48E1-B610-1C0D0FBB1082.jpeg

I think it's an adult or almost-adult female, but it could possibly be a young male instead. Knowing the age would settle that question.

It looks like a Dark Cornish, probably standard sized (not bantam).

But I'm not quite sure about the comb. The bird could possibly be a Partridge Chantecler instead.

Cornish have pea combs, Chanteclers have cushion combs (sometimes called walnut.) It can be hard to tell them apart in photos. Cornish usually have thicker legs than Chanteclers, and the body type is a bit different, which is why I think it's more likely to be a Cornish.

Blue Double Laced Barnevelder.
No, because Barnevelders have single combs and this chicken does not. I'm not positive whether it's a pea comb or a walnut comb, but that bird does NOT have a single comb.

Also, I think it's got black, not blue, in the feathers. But it can be hard to tell those apart in photos, so I could easily be wrong about that detail.

Ok, just a Double Laced Barnevelder then.
No, because the comb is still wrong. The comb is a much bigger issue than whether it's blue or not. Barnevelders have single combs. Two Barnevelder parents with single combs will never produce offspring with a comb like that.

I agree that the chicken is double laced. But Dark Cornish are also double laced, and so are Partridge Chanteclers. So the color & pattern are not enough to tell what breed it is.

No, because the comb is still wrong. The comb is a much bigger issue than whether it's blue or not. Barnevelders have single combs. Two Barnevelder parents with single combs will never produce offspring with a comb like that.

I agree that the chicken is double laced. But Dark Cornish are also double laced, and so are Partridge Chanteclers. So the color & pattern are not enough to tell what breed it is.
Maybe it's a mix then?

Back
Top Bottom