What am I?

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
These chicks came from the feed store can you tell what they are and any hints of pullet or roo?

This is a Golden Comet. She's the same age as the other chicks and since we know she's a she I thought she'd be good to cpmpare.
Spring2-2.jpg

Cornish cross? Leghorn? It's legs are thick...and it's big...but it's not as hideous as I hear them often described so I wonder if it's a cornish cross...
Spring5-1.jpg

This one is really confusing...It looked different than the sex link pullet I bought...it had some white on it's face and a little whitish yellow on it's chest and belly...It's now growing some reddish feathers, but not nearly as many as the black sex link, it's legs are also a different color.
Spring7-1.jpg

Spring8-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully #3 is a Black Australorp pullet. My 1 year old BA girl has some reddish feathers on her chest and someone on here called it "smut." I'll post some chick pics of her later if you want me to.

Quote:
I'd love to see some pics! I showed some pictures of it as a chick and a few people guessed JG or BA. I would be happy with either (as long as it's a pullet!)

Here she is when she was about 8 weeks old (if I'm remembering correctly.) Notice the white spot beside her eye, your chick has the same thing.
2531217904_7ef8dcaeba.jpg

Here is a better body shot of her during her ugly stage.
2531217432_535b45ae4e.jpg

2514250019_6758f479e8.jpg

Here she is a coule of months older, when I first noticed the smut on her chest.
2594729376_703bc700e1.jpg

2574515842_cf62a2341d.jpg

And this is how she looks now. (Those aren't her eggs, they're my bantam girls' eggs.... they all share a nest box.)
3121202082_603208ee8f.jpg

I really hope that is what yours is. I
love.gif
my Betty, she is so sweet. She's a great layer of large brown eggs too!!
smile.png

Edited to add.... I just noticed that yours has yellowish looking legs. Hmmm, Australorps have slate legs.
hmm.png
Can you get a good leg shot of yours. How old is yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
She could be a black sex link. Ours had varying degrees of brown - one of them is almost all black. A couple of them had yellow & slate legs, instead of completely slate. They are very ugly as chicks, but turn out to be quite pretty. I was just noticing today how pretty my 17 week old black sexlinks have become. Their black feathers have that same green shimmer the austrolorps have and the red with the black is also quite striking. They've also filled out so they no longer have that vulture look to them - finally.

A couple of my vultures at about 1 month:
19548_new_chickens_006.jpg

19548_new_chickens_001.jpg

This photo shows how much a black sexlink can vary in the amount of brown it can have - all 5 of these velociraptor looking chicks are black sexlinks. Notice the one in front has a little yellow in her legs.
gardenchickens001-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom