1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Roux, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

This was sent to me as a light Brahma, but there are no feathers on the feet. It doesn't match up to anything else in my order (i.e. Faverolles, Cochins, brown Leghorn, etc).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any clues would be GREATLY appreciated. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I want to say I see precisely two feathers on it's legs. No idea on this little guy, but sure is cute! Love the close ups.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I see two tiny feathers as well - GREAT pics, looks like you got a talker on your hands! Tee-hee!

4. Roux

Yeah, I saw the two little feathers & that's what threw me. Do Brahmas have feathered feet upon hatching, or does it occasionally come in later on some individuals?

(S)he sure is a cutie, regardless...little snuggle bug, too. [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I do believe that the number of feather shafts they have now will remain the same as they age.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Well, its' certainly not a Light Brahma ....I raise those...maybe a dark brahma crossed with something or a Cochin/cross....there are those 2 wittle tiny feathers but brahmas and cochins both have loads of feathering on their legs...

Yes...brahmas have lots of feathering at hatch...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  7. Roux

Thank you all...my other light Brahmas are quite obvious - lighter & feathered legs like crazy, so this little one has me stumped for sure.

Ah, the happy peeping of little fuzzybums!

8. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    It looks just like a Lbrahma, probably just bad quality. NOT saying that it wont turn out to be the best pet you ever had.. [​IMG]

9. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    they do have feathered feet when they hatch....but that chicks looks just like my brahmas except for the legs

10. IrkanInvader89

IrkanInvader89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Within The Matrix
    Definitely not a light brahma or a cochin. They have feathers on the legs as soon as they hatch. Looks like it will turn out to be a blue bird, but it's difficult to tell. I'm trying to remember what the ones I had turned out to be. I had a few last year that looked just like those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by