What Am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NWChicks, Mar 28, 2011.

1. NWChicks

NWChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I bought this little girl at our local Farm & Feed and I'm not sure what she is. They told me she was a Gold Sex-Link but looking at her feathering and comparing her to other GSL's I'm not sure they were correct. I'm wondering if someone put a different bird in that bin and I got something else. I have no experience with this breed and she'd be from one of the large hatcheries (I know they use Privett, Cackle and McMurray among others.) Thanks for any insight you can give.

The first pic she's a couple of days old.

[​IMG]

The second pic was from today at about 4 weeks.

[​IMG]

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    What does her head look like from the front? This is my Pheonix at about 4 weeks. Can't tell if the coloring is the same.

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Production red [​IMG]

4. NWChicks

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to their records (gotta love Facebook!) they did get a shipment of Rhode Island Reds the same day as the GSL's. Would a RIR be the same as a Production Red? I currently have a New Hampshire Red hen and she definitely looked different as a little chick so I don't want to assume they're all the same!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:This was my exact thought when I saw her.

6. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
  7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    usually RIRs from a hatchery are considered production reds.. They aren't really as dark as the heritage RIR. But you can't go wrong with a PR. They are GREAT layers! And that ones looks like a pullet to me!

8. NWChicks

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Quote:Thanks to everyone who responded! I was suspecting her of being a Red and I'm totally fine with that. She seems very sweet and I love her already. [​IMG] I know they have a rep. of being good layers but to the grown hens have a good temperament?

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    The PR I had were very docile, they were also brave and did not scare easy. This made working around them a real pleasure, no frantic hens flying around while I'm cleaning the coop.

10. NWChicks

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Cool! Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by