What am I ?

He towers over the others. My daughter named him Sunshine, I may rename him Hulk.

The clerk at the feed store told me they were all the same age, and they were the same size when I bought them.

Thank you for your help!

Cornish Cross are broiler hybrids and have been modified to the point that they go from hatch to processing weight in 8 weeks - that is why this bird has gone from being the same size to being so much larger than the rest of your chicks.

The Sunshine Hulk will be around for awhile.. it's my daughter's favorite.
Thanks again!

While you may be able to prolong it's life with VERY careful management (you can find some threads here on extending the life expectancy of Cornish X), I would suggest considering whether being your daughter's favorite is reason enough to go to the lengths of putting the bird through it. To take a bird that is genetically programmed such as this bird is and try to make it into something it is not - well, imo, that is about as questionable as having made the genetic modifications to it in the first place.

While you may be able to prolong it's life with VERY careful management (you can find some threads here on extending the life expectancy of Cornish X), I would suggest considering whether being your daughter's favorite is reason enough to go to the lengths of putting the bird through it.  To take a bird that is genetically programmed such as this bird is and try to make it into something it is not - well, imo, that is about as questionable as having made the genetic modifications to it in the first place.

My expectations are realistic and should the Hulk be is a situation where his needs outweigh the needs of the flock, a chicken soup will be in it's future.

We raised farm animals for many years. My family finds it amusing that as the vegetarian I'm the one who wants to raise chickens.

Back
Top Bottom