What amount of light, and what temp to get eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robbdebbie, Oct 14, 2009.

1. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    I read a lot on here that egg laying slows down in the winter because of the light, and the cold. So, what is the optimal temp, and the optimal light to get eggs. We live in Louisiana, and it is still in the 90-80 degree range, but the sun is going down much earlier. Most of my chickens are almost five months old. Will I most likely have to wait until Spring for eggs from the banties? I have some adult birds that were laying just fine before they were shipped almost a month ago, but no eggs yet. I even have quail that were supposed to start laying like 4 weeks ago, and no eggs yet!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In your climate I would guess it's more about light than temp. Many on here provide 14 hours of daylight per day, adding extra light early in the AM with a timer, so they experience natural darkening and roosting. Others feel it is better to let them slow down, as a hen is only going to lay so many eggs, this is the more natural cycle for them, and they will just lay for more years. Depends on your goals. Mine are slowing down. We still run A/C many days but the days are definitely shorter, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by