What animal is tunneling under our coop? Photos

Pics

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Hi folks,
I have a coop sitting on top of a cement slab. It has an attached, enclosed run (made with mesh wire, not chicken wire). Along the edges of the run, the mesh wire runs underground about a foot to prevent burrowing animals, like weasels, from digging under.
Yesterday morning I went outside to let the chickens out of the coop and into the run. I noticed a pile of dirt/pebbles on the INSIDE of the run, right next to the edge of the cement slab. The dirt pile was about 1/2 to 1 foot wide. Upon further inspection I realized that it was displaced from a tunnel that was dug under the cement pad and went to the OUTSIDE of the run, right where it connects to the coop and the extra foot of mesh wire that runs underground ends. The tunnel was about the width of a baseball all the way through.
I took a hose and sprayed water all throughout the tunnel to make sure nothing was still inside.
My first thought was chipmunks. We have TONS of them around, along with gray squirrels. I sprinkle cracked corn inside the run for the chickens to eat, but a lot gets left behind that they don’t eat, so I assumed a chipmunk was trying to get after that. But I’m also worried that it might be a weasel or mink. I live in Maine so we have lots around here. About 12 years ago I lost an entire flock to a weasel.
I buried the tunnel and put a cinder block over the main hole. I’m not worried about anything getting to my flock at night if it’s a nocturnal animal because the coop is very solid (the run, apparently not so much).
This morning I went back out and found a new tunnel dug around the cinder block. Again, it would’ve happened during the early morning hours (between 5am-8am) if it was a chipmunk. Otherwise, it would have to be nocturnal. This time, there were multiple signs of small digging spots inside the run, where it appeared to get out (unsuccessfully due to the underground wire).
I’ve since filled in the tunnels again with gravel and put larger rocks and cinder blocks over the holes. I also put rags soaked in peppermint and tea tree oil in between the rocks where the tunnels used to be as another potential deterrent. This is just a temporary deterrent until I’m able to get some more mesh wire to completely seal off the weak spot where it ends...I’m going to connect it over the cement pad and have it go underground a foot, just as it is around the base of the run.
In the meantime, does anyone have any guesses as to whether this is a weasel or just a chipmunk? Seems like a lot of damage for a chipmunk to do, especially given the size of the initial pile of displaced dirt I found. But we also have SO many chipmunks around, wouldn’t the large population size point to a lack of their natural predators (like minks and weasels) too?
I’ve attached photos of the ‘damage’ for reference. These photos were taken the second time I found the tunnels.
Any input is appreciated!

Photo 1: from outside the run, you can see the main hole leading into the run. It almost looks like the cinder block was also chewed at the corner??
Photo 2: from inside the run, where the hole seen in photo 1 leads to.
Photos 3-5: small holes found along the edge of the INSIDE of the run (but don’t make it to the outside because of the underground wire).
Photo 6/7: our whole coop set-up.

Attachments

• 6D2B2FFE-D17F-450A-BBEF-C0C745CF1F95.jpeg
    6D2B2FFE-D17F-450A-BBEF-C0C745CF1F95.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 7AB18EE4-C78F-4EE1-920C-37D13ABB6916.jpeg
    7AB18EE4-C78F-4EE1-920C-37D13ABB6916.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 33277C91-E061-4A24-9E60-4EEE95ADA5D9.jpeg
    33277C91-E061-4A24-9E60-4EEE95ADA5D9.jpeg
    953.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 74C9D98B-4E56-403A-87FC-0FCD3619D7F7.jpeg
    74C9D98B-4E56-403A-87FC-0FCD3619D7F7.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 6DDD4BA0-865F-468A-B689-10828C774A5F.jpeg
    6DDD4BA0-865F-468A-B689-10828C774A5F.jpeg
    917 KB · Views: 360
  • DFA6BF5A-959D-4805-A004-9E651B09B2FA.jpeg
    DFA6BF5A-959D-4805-A004-9E651B09B2FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • 7DCBCDB9-82AA-467D-983C-5A922E1A27F2.jpeg
    7DCBCDB9-82AA-467D-983C-5A922E1A27F2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 326
I've been dealing with excavations that size on one side of my run under the fence and hot wire.

Answer? Rat. Filling the tunnel will not get rid of it. Trap or poison bait will.

The good news is, if it is a rat it won't hurt the chickens, it's just looking for a free meal. The bad news is if you don't get rid of it and it is a rat, pretty soon you will be dealing with more than one.

We have almost 30 acres of forest and pasture plus our house barn and outbuildings. Earlier this spring we found a big rat drowned quite dead in our stock tank. I baited and got rid of two more just recently. The last one like I said, was burrowing under my chain link fence to avoid the hot wire.

I asked my husband where he thought they were coming from and he just waved his arm at the pasture and timber.

We have an overabundance of mice, field voles and what I call field rats, probably just common gray rats. It's a constant battle to keep them under control,

Yeah, I used to snipe ground squirrels. Funny how they are cute until they start eating your yard and flower beds then it's grab the .22 and head outside.

If you want to do a ID on footprints, just put down a powder of common flour around the hole and check for foot prints in the morning. Most are active overnight around here.

Update: Yup, it's rats. Couple little (kinda gross, fair warning) stories...
First, I went around the entire chicken run/base of the coop and reinforced the mesh wire. I was determined to make it impenetrable. I attached new underground wire, topped it with crushed stone and heavy rocks, and packed it down. A couple nights went by...every morning I checked for any signs of digging. There were a couple attempts on the outside, but no more rats were getting into the run. No more tunnels. After a couple days, I stopped finding any attempts at all. Had they simply given up?
I have two indoor cats. A few days after making those adjustments to the run, I awoke to find a dried blood smear on the hardwood floor in our living room along with a small, rodent-sized kidney organ. :sick My cats are skilled hunters; they have caught mice in our house before and for some reason, when they eat them, they always leave behind the kidney. :idunno This looked exactly like a mouse kidney, but bigger- about the size of a quarter. It seemed that one rat had somehow made its way into our house, but clearly didn't last too long with our cats. Maybe the rats had turned on our house in search of food and shelter after being blocked from getting into the run?
We have two 30-gallon buckets right up against our house in the backyard. We'd had a few big rain storms recently, so the buckets were filled with water, almost to the brim. A couple days after discovering the rodent-sized kidney, my husband discovered two drowned rats in one of the buckets. It looked like they had been in there for at least a couple days. So, that explained the sudden halt in signs of digging. It seems that the rats have defeated themselves, making my job much easier.
Anyways, that confirms the culprit behind the tunneling. Rats, just like many of you suspected. It has been about a month since discovering the drowned rats, and I've seen no signs of them since.
But this morning I went out to the coop to let the chickens out in the morning and, lo and behold, there was a big old rat snooping around in front of the coop (not inside the run.) As soon as it saw me, it scuttled off into the woods and disappeared. So, apparently they're still around. But the good thing is they have not been able to get back into the run (or the house.) Our coop is pretty solid, so they've never been able to make it into there either.

Ok, that looks like a small hole, I would guess a Chipmunk or Weasel. Like you said, sorry I can't give you more help! So you said you hadn't lost any birds, that makes me think a Chipmunk. Hope you can get this fixed!
Do weasels ever hunt during the day?
We haven’t had anything get into the coop, which is closed up entirely at night. Even if something gets into the run at night , as it has, there’s no way into the coop- unless it can chew through a metal-plated door!
So the only way a weasel would be able to get to the flock would be during the day.
Thanks for the reply!

I've been dealing with excavations that size on one side of my run under the fence and hot wire.

Answer? Rat. Filling the tunnel will not get rid of it. Trap or poison bait will.

The good news is, if it is a rat it won't hurt the chickens, it's just looking for a free meal. The bad news is if you don't get rid of it and it is a rat, pretty soon you will be dealing with more than one.
That’s what I was wondering too. I’d read a little before posting on here about it and rat was a common suggestion. Which is odd, because I didn’t think rats lived out in the rural wilderness- I thought they preferred more urban habitats?

Back
Top Bottom