What animal is tunneling under our coop? Photos

microchick

Enabler
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
Whow, thanks, Rammy. I've not experienced any attacks on our chickens from rats, nor loss of chicks. Either I'm very lucky or we have really lazy rats.

So far this fall and late summer we have eradicated 3 rats. One very large one drowned in our stock tank. 2 were victims of Ramik.

CluckerFamily

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
A trial camera would really help especially now that the culprit is on the inside.
I'm leaning toward rats but I just noticed a visitor in my yard that I haven't seen in a while and I thought maybe... red squirrel can dig in loose dirt, they tend to dig under tree roots but there is always that possibility, and red squirrels can hide wonderfully. A trap in the run at night maybe be a good idea also, maybe on the inside border of the run so that the culprit runs into the trap or two traps.

Rammy

Crowing
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
Whow, thanks, Rammy. I've not experienced any attacks on our chickens from rats, nor loss of chicks. Either I'm very lucky or we have really lazy rats.

So far this fall and late summer we have eradicated 3 rats. One very large one drowned in our stock tank. 2 were victims of Ramik.
Mine didnt at first, either. I used Ramik first, now Tomcat. First the chicks started disappearing, then one morning I noticed a fresh wound on one of my LH hens and fresh blood on the roost pole. I guess once they had the taste of chicks they tried for a bigger one. Thankfully no more attacks since.

Al Gerhart

Songster
Sep 29, 2011
Oklahoma City
@Al Gerhart I took your advice and moved all feed into the coop at night. Fortunately it’s already stored in metal barrels, but I was in the habit of leaving their automatic feeders out in the run 24/7. I also cleared the run of any leftover foods- cracked corn, etc.- so hopefully they don’t have any reason to come back (if they can get through the new mesh wire set-up, that is.)
The rats will just take the feed during the day. What kind of automatic feeders do you have? Pictures? Most are not actually rat proof.

You probably have tunnels under the coop, blocked off or not, they have what they need, feed available during the day, water, safe place from predators.

microchick

Enabler
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
I've had rats chew into my coop. Even had one chew into my feed room which is in our shop. They will chew threw 2X4s here. I'm just glad we don't have super rats here that will chew through metal. If they start chewing through the metal siding in my coop I'm in deep doggy doo doo. I've had to wrap the wood window frames in my coop due to rats chewing through them in hardware cloth to stop them.

Top Bottom