What animals are easy to keep and give somthing in return?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jul 2, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am looking for somthing fun to raise, that is easy to raise and gives me something in return. For example, I have been raising chickens. They are fun to raise, they are fairly easy (buy a bag of feed every month, give them fresh water, give them space to roam, give them shelter, give them treats and they are your best friend) and they also give you something in return (eggs).
    What other type of animal is not too expensive to raise and will give me something in return? [​IMG]

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Goats, ducks...goats [​IMG]

These are critters that I have had experience with and I find both to be inexpensive and rewarding [​IMG]

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Milk goats. We have 2 little Nigarians. They are sweet loving little creatures. They also give milk.

4. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    goats are only inexpensive if the fence is already in place. A GOOD fence.

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I agree we have a momma and 2 kids (goats) very low maintenance but there is some maintenance and have lots of advvantages. There are a few disadvantages though depending on what your goat's personality is lol.

6. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Ducks are a good choice. They can be raised for meat or eggs, many breeds make wonderful broodies and they are such a comical animal just to watch!

7. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i like quail if your not opposed to butchering, cute to watch, quite prolific, yummy eggs and very nice meat.
    rabbit are the same and ive known many meat rabbit breeder stock that get very frnedly with their people...and rabbit meat is extreemly healthy...or you could raise small rabbits in limited numbers for the pet market if your into showing...
    or if you knit/crochette how about angora rabbits for wool?

personally i belive all animals give you something in return it might not be a solid item like eggs...
    but my dogs give me unlimited love, my cats keep the mice at bay and listening to them purr as you pett ehm is very destressing...
    watching my fish swim around in my tank never fails to relax me and make me smile...
    listening to my macaw talk and watching his antics never fails to make me laugh...
    so while there not solid items in return, there certainly no less valuable

8. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    Quote:Yup! We use the woven (NOT welded) field fence- works amazing for my Nigerian Dwarves [​IMG]

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Beagle's if your into hunting [​IMG]

or quail [​IMG]

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    A warning about goats...they will eat EVERYTHING in their pens. Trees, barns, metal, flowers, all plants and shrubbery. So make sure there is nothing in their pen that you really adore. I had a shed in my goat area, which they chewed the entire side off of. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by