What Animals can Live With Quail?

i currently have 4 ringneck pheasants 1 duck 3 buttons and 60 coturnix in my aviary. i have had chukar, silkies, and turkey in there at other times. there are inherent risks by keeping a mixed aviary. space, hideaways, biosecurity, and ability to separate and/or cull aggressive birds are key. I’ve been lucky that disease has never been an issue.

it only presents an issue during (mainly the first) breeding season because the pheasant doesn’t understand that he’s not a quail.
Yea, its currently breeding season here but we still havent had any issues. The quail like to stay in the outdoor area of their enclosure and have a small house only they can fit in while pheonix(the pheasent) likes to stay in the top area and only comes out around feeding times on visiting days

Wow! I was not expecting this many replies! Anyways, the quail I'm talking about are Northern Bobwhites. I have 1 male and 4 females living in a 4x8x2 cage. Well, one of the females is living on her own in a separate cage because she is getting picked on by the other 4. (It's mating season.) I used to keep my two russian tortoises with the quail for a while, but then I built a specific cage for the two tortoises because they kept on crushing the tiny quail eggs and the quail constantly pecked at them. I don't think 2 feet is high enough for a pheasant or a duck, but I would love to get bigger birds if I ever had the time and space to build a larger cage. Also the cage is kept outside, and it gets cold here in the winter so I don't know if any small birds like budgies would be a good choice. They also might be able to squirm out of the chicken wire and fly away! So, we kind of have it narrowed down to bigger than a budgie and (way) smaller than a chicken AND they have to be able to withstand Missouri weather and be able to live in peace with Northern Bobwhites. That's not a lot of options left! Maybe you guys will be able to think of something because I sure can't! Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

I do not own bobwhites but heard they could be aggressive. I have button quail that are in the same coop as my Serama chickens, but different pens so they can see each other but cant interact. I would not recommend keeping quail (especially buttons) in with full sized chickens because the quail could catch disease and could also be killed and eaten by the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom