What animals can live with rabbits?

outside is generally not a great idea for rabbits, I know they can die of heart attacks and similar from hearing predators overnight.
Anything CAN happen, but most rabbits are able to live outside without dying from hearing predators.

I used to raise rabbits for meat. I only ever had one rabbit dies from something like that. Dogs got inside a fence and were tearing open cages and killing rabbits. Some rabbits were killed by the dogs, and one was untouched but dead in the cage (presumed heart attack), but at least a dozen rabbits were alive (traumatized, but alive.) Dogs were seen outside the fence on other occasions, barking and scratching but unable to get in, and no rabbits ever died from that (over several years' time, this amounted to hundreds of rabbits that did NOT have heart attacks from any cause, even when predators were close enough to hear, smell, and see.)

I would be much more worried about whether predators can get into the cage and kill the rabbits, than about whether the rabbits would die from just hearing predators that are unable to get in.

they also overheat quite easily.
That is definitely a consideration. Different climate can make a big difference, and I don't see any mention of where OP lives. Shade and plenty of cool water are enough in some climates, but not in some other climates.

Anything CAN happen, but most rabbits are able to live outside without dying from hearing predators.

I used to raise rabbits for meat. I only ever had one rabbit dies from something like that. Dogs got inside a fence and were tearing open cages and killing rabbits. Some rabbits were killed by the dogs, and one was untouched but dead in the cage (presumed heart attack), but at least a dozen rabbits were alive (traumatized, but alive.) Dogs were seen outside the fence on other occasions, barking and scratching but unable to get in, and no rabbits ever died from that (over several years' time, this amounted to hundreds of rabbits that did NOT have heart attacks from any cause, even when predators were close enough to hear, smell, and see.)

I would be much more worried about whether predators can get into the cage and kill the rabbits, than about whether the rabbits would die from just hearing predators that are unable to get in.

That is definitely a consideration. Different climate can make a big difference, and I don't see any mention of where OP lives. Shade and plenty of cool water are enough in some climates, but not in some other climates.
My rabbits have been outside for over a year now, and yes there actually have been dogs that came, but the structure they live in is very well protected, and now they don’t come. It is weird that someone’s dog was just wandering the neighborhood in the middle of the night.

My rabbits have been outside for over a year now, and yes there actually have been dogs that came, but the structure they live in is very well protected, and now they don’t come. It is weird that someone’s dog was just wandering the neighborhood in the middle of the night.
It might not have been anybody’s dog. Some areas have lots of strays, ferals, dumped dogs, etc.

:thumbsup I'm glad you already have dog-proof housing for them!

Dogs wander in the middle of the night for many reasons, including from accidents (dog gets out of a fence and runs off, owner doesn't find/catch it again until a few days later) and owners that just permit it (I used to live in a place where it was common for people to have outdoor pet dogs that were not fenced, tied up, or restrained in any other way. They definitely wandered.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom