What antibiotic should I use for chronic diarrhea?

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
Hi folks!

I have a rooster that has had diarrhea now for a couple of months. I've gone down the road of the process of elimination. I've also tried probiotics, firming up his stool with oatmeal, etc..
I finally had my vet send in a fecal. It came back clean.

With the help of another BYC'er and her vet, I was told it could be A) Bacterial B) Cancer in the gut C) Metal in the gizzard. Well, I'm not able to treat him if it's A or C. That leaves me B, some sort of bacterial infection.

What would be the best antibiotic (that I can get my hands on without seeing the vet) to give him.

I'm an animal lover...I just spent over $2,500 on vet bills for my dogs and am needing to have my donkey treated. I hate to say it, but the rooster is on the bottom of the pecking order.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks

Side note, things I've tried:

Thought it was vent gleet:
-cleaned with iodine twice daily Plus ACV in water
-ACV in water, yogurt Plus topical cream (Monistat)
-Stopped all of the above and was giving Colloidal Silver 7 times a day plus putting it on his bottom to
kill any bacteria there.

Thought it was Cocci:
-5 days of Corrid
Just to firm up stool, stopped the yogurt and ACV, gave an oral probiotic pill several times a day Plus fed oatmeal

I didn't try all this at once, tried something , gave it a good 5 - 7 days, went on to the next thing.

I agree with Enola. Stop the yogurt, ACV, oatmeal, probiotic pills. Worm him. Then feed him only buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs for several days, then add layer feed or scratch to the mixture as a mash for several more days. Then reworm him again on the tenth day after the initial worming. Then start the buttermilk/egg feeding regimen again. Hopefully this will clear up his diarrhea problem.
As far as safeguard dosing info; you can use safeguard equine paste, a "pea" size amount given orally and repeat in 10 days. Or you can give him safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2cc orally undiluted and repeat again in 10 days.

I agree with Dawg and Enola that stopping most of the extras and meds if he is doing alright otherwise. Just feed him a quality 16-20% protein chicken feed and clean water. The buttermilk would be good in small amounts. I had a Cuckoo Marans once who had clear squirty diarrhea every day, I thought from just drinking large amounts of water, but she was fine, layed eggs regularly, and stayed out in the yard and was active. I wouldn't use antibiotics unless there was a valid reason for it because that would further disturb his intestinal flora.

Try worming him. It is quite possible that the fecal exam was not accurate. Safeguard is a good wormer that you will find in yhe cattle medicine section of your feed store.
I'll discontinue the Corrid then, give him a few days and then try the Safeguard. I have already stopped the yogurt, oatmeal, probiotics, etc...and am currently just giving him egg yolk and a small amount of crumble, nothing in his water. I'll do as all of you suggest.

Last edited:
hello.....I had this problem some weeks ago with my new bantams, restricted their water for a few hours, then gave them 2 litres of boiled water, with a teaspoon of good quality apple cider vinegar added....problem resolved in a couple of days....if the hens don't like it, weaken it slightly at first....hope this helps....Fowlo

You should probably treat all of your chickens. They share everything - even their worms!
Yeah, I know...that's why I'm surprised that the hen he's been with his entire life is not showing any signs. You'd think if it was a parasite she'd be affected. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom