What are Call Ducks like?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chiko, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I have seen people selling Call Ducks on the classified ads but I'm not sure what they are like someone told me they were different than other ducks but I'm still not sure can you tell me everything about the call duck? thanks and if you can post a few pics of your ducks thanks! [​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

One word: LOUD! (That's the first that comes to mind, anyway. [​IMG] ) But, they're very friendly, social, but also active ducks as well. They're truly the most hyper animals on our farm. The drake is pretty quiet and subdued in comparison to the girls. They can fly decently if wings are left unclipped.

As far as being 'different' than other ducks, the only way I can see them being different is that they're smaller than most other domesticated waterfowl. As adults, they're roughly the size of a size 5 sneaker. They're bantam ducks. It's hard to tell 'everything' about them. There are alot of threads on the forum. You can start there.

Our trio
    [​IMG]

The male is the Ancona (white with black spots). His girls are the blacks.
    [​IMG]

Yodel
    [​IMG]

Sir Fig Newton and Scooter
    [​IMG]

Figgie [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anabariful and mjett5578 like this.
  3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to ducks but researched for several months and decided on Calls.. I luv luv luv them... they are small and less messy than larger ducks. I have 2 boys and 2 girls but will get more girls before spring (hen to drake ratio) they are fun, friendly, cute, the girls can be loud at times. They dont eat much .,, They are good flyers, I ended up clipping wings last summer. They are NOT good layers if your looking for eggs. Mine are 10 months old now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    We have Snowy Call Ducks and love and enjoy them so much...super friendly... [​IMG]

5. phikhanhs123

phikhanhs123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    hehe i am thinking getting call duck in couple year [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm sorry-anyone that knows anything about me knows I CANNOT resist posting when a question like this is asked about Calls.
    Mine are very social, friendly, joyous little things. They are pretty economical little eaters that when the urge strikes, and can fly like maniacs(and they will). Funny thing about them flying off is, that if they set down too far from home/the flock-they go into full on panic mode and you ALWAYS have to go fetch them.
    They are also a lot of fun to show-people love to look at the adorable little ducks. They're a real conversation starter at a show(if you can hear over them) and I've met some really nice people who just wanted to ask questions/talk about them.
    Win/win to be owned by Calls, in my opinion.
    I firmly believe that they are one of the most amazing creatures that God blessed us with.
    And now, for a picture:

This is Damsel-one of our young White pullets.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. nataliejac85

nataliejac85 New Egg

Apr 16, 2013
    Vancouver, WA
    I love our call ducks they are soooo friendly and super cute... the females are only loud when they get excited, my hens are super layers, their eggs are about the size of a large chicken egg.... they make great mothers and are very hearty......

8. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    I love my Call ducks and would love to see more picture of your and see your setup

Terell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by